Chapter 1: She Awakens

Brittany didn't remember much. She didn't recall the confines of the field twist into something that of the inside of a kaleidoscope; how her unconscious body floated for a short period within a wormhole of sorts. Hell, she didn't even remember her form be tossed rather harshly into the snow on the side of a mountain. What she could remember, however, was walking over to the summer campsite her friends were hosting when a bright light blinded her vision.

It seemed that time did not pass too quickly for the early adult, for when she awoke, she was cold, yes, but not frostbitten. Wait, cold? Frostbitten? Where was she?

Lifting her head slowly, Brittany cracked her eyes open to scan her surroundings. A cough mixed with a gasp escaped her dry lips. Snow, everywhere! The flakes fell not as a storm, but they still managed to cover anything they could reach in a short time. The nipping breeze didn't help to ease the girl's burden's either as it steadily lowered her body temperature.

Panic settled in, but not the kind that sent someone into hyper-drive. Unless she was about to get hit by a car or be chased by a nasty predator, Brittany's nature wasn't like that. Instead, it was the kind of panic that shocked a person to the core for a split second, like the visual equivalent of a lightning strike, then faded to a humming anxiety that gnawed at their insides. At least Brittany didn't have panic attacks, but this feeling still left her plenty scared, and that was good enough.

The brunette lifted her stiff body to its feet and wiped the melted snow from her glasses as good as she could. She usually could see general shapes without them, but in this light and weather, that was not an option. Once she slipped them back onto her face (and attempting to ignore the wet smudges she couldn't get rid of), her attention quickly turned to the town below. Even though quite small in size, a healthy glow radiated from the Christmas lights that covered every object seen. And was that music? Yes, it was! That meant civilization! The young woman could hear carols being sung down below with such pure joy that they warmed her heart despite the cold and fear. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. The community itself seemed so welcoming that she knew she could get help there. Her heart rate calmed to a steady thrum. She was saved!

But...something seemed...familiar. So very familiar; a spark of a memory like an old gramophone playing a record after dormancy in a dusty closet. That tune rang a bell in her head.

"Fah who For-aze
Dah who dor-aze
Welcome Christmas
Come this way!

Fah who for-aze
Dah who dor-aze
Welcome Christmas
Christmas Day!"

With a start, it clicked. Flashes of her childhood and teen years watching the movie pranced behind her eyes. The girl now knew where she was, and by God, if that didn't fill her entire body with raw excitement she didn't know what could!

This was what the Who's sang during Christmas season! She was in Whoville!

The girl let out a cheerful laugh and let her eyes gaze upon the charming little society below before another shock came to her. If this really was Whoville, then that meant the mountain she was on was...

"No way..." But yes way. The eerie candy-cane-like curve to the tip of the structure was a dead giveaway. Mount Crumpit. Home of the Grinch. And she was standing in the middle of it! What a dream this must be!

However, another panic episode suddenly set in, and Brittany began to feel very different now opposed to the happy attitude from below. She had a choice. She could go down to Whoville and ask for help, or hunt down the Grinch's lair and ask him instead. Dread started to eat at her insides. If her theory were correct, the Who's would count her off as some deformed, undergrown Who, and not as a human being. Surely, also, the Mayor wouldn't take her word for it as well, would he? If Brittany hadn't grown into her nose, according to him, then her request for help would be taken lightly; something that of child's play! She remembered the scene when the Mayor told Cindy Lou Who that she was a "not to be taken seriously girl who hadn't even grown into her nose yet."

Well, if her bets on asking Whoville were off the table, then that left the grumpy green Who up high. A shudder racked through her body, and not from the cold. The gloomy clouds that loomed overhead and whisked past parts of the mountaintop, which resulted in a hazardous looking atmosphere. The dark lighting from up there made the air feel colder now, and Brittany found herself desperately not wanting to waste even more precious time and body warmth scaling a damn mountain just to be turned away.

Then again, the Grinch was a skilled inventor. She remembered the scenes of his cave that showed all the fantastic contraptions lining the walls and littering the workshop tables. If Brittany could somehow convince the Grinch to let her stay with him, they could both figure out a way for her to get home, as well as understand how she got here. As far as she knew about the characters, greeny was the best option.

Fortunately, when the girl was transported here against her will, her belongings were with her: a suitcase full of clothes and toiletries, and her NASA themed backpack which contained her phone charger, headphones, NASA hat, sketchbook, journal, gum, sunscreen, and other objects needed.

Oh, and her iPhone! She completely forgot about that! Maybe there was still a chance that she could contact her family...somehow. There seemed to be something equivalent to cell towers down below, but the Who's didn't seem to have a system that required satellites into the mix as well. There must have been a different phone network system in place. Besides, Brittany wasn't too sure that the Who species was as advanced as her human one - advanced enough to build a satellite and place it into space. Speaking of which, how would they get a satellite into space even if they had the capabilities of creating one? After all, it's clearly shown in the movie that they lived on a snowflake...

The brunette shook her head from those pointless thoughts, and her chilled hands struggled to get a firm grip on the cellular device from her pocket. The object was freezing in her hands, but, to her relief, it turned on just fine, and she felt a sense of comfort at the familiar glow of technology illuminating her face. Quickly noticing the lack of bars, she wanted to try anyway in hopes that something would happen. With prayer, the brunette promptly selected her father's contact and hit call. He always answered, unlike her mother, who wasn't too savvy with technology like he was. He was her best bet.

"You have no service. Please go to an area with connection and try again."

"Goddamnit!" She scream-whispered through her teeth and shoved the device back into her pocket. It was inevitable, she knew, but in a place like this, why couldn't a miracle happen? A person's heart growing three sizes in a matter of minutes seemed magical enough, so why wouldn't something like that happen to her? Well, not to her organs, but her phone bars...

Brittany sighed slowly to try and calm herself down before picking up her things. This was completely insane. She wondered if she'd ever return to her family and friends once more. If she'd be stuck here until the day she died.

Well, there was only one way to find out, and that was to get the help she needed. With a huff, the girl started her hike up the mountain to the Grinch's lair.

Hello! Welcome to a story I hopefully don't drop after a couple months.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is one of my favorite Christmas movies, maybe even borderlining on favorite movies in general. I think Ron Howard and the crew did a jaw-dropping job at managing to create an entirely different universe with its own culture, quirks, and species out of thin air with not too much reliance on humanity's culture as a whole to where it isn't different from us. What I'm saying is that it's its own thing, even if there's human in it. I think that's amazing.

And don't even get me started on the great camera angles and lighting effects. The atmosphere in that movie is something else. So Dr. Seuss!

I love this movie so much, in fact, that I've decided to slap my persona right into it. I'm really excited about this, and so I hope you give it a chance!

Thanks for reading! Feedback is always appreciated!