Chapter 7

"One more time and I'll report you to the police, understood?"

The security guard warned in a grave tone, giving Kuroo and the boy beside him a hard stare before walking off.

Kuroo rubbed his neck, groaning as pain shot up from his spine. He glanced sideways at Ryo, whom he had fought with, and regarded him up and down with distaste. Ryo, who had been busily rubbing his bruises, caught his glance and gave him a glare.

Quite a large number of people who had gathered to watch the spectacle dispersed quickly as soon as the fight was settled. Kenma stood looking warily at Kuroo, who seemed as though he would start a fight again just because he didn't like seeing Ryo. He had been desperate in stopping the fight just now not just because he didn't like being in the area of attention, but mainly because he was afraid Kuroo might literally kill the other boy out of anger.

Which was what Kuroo almost did, before the security guard stopped him.

Keiko stood behind the two tall boys, looking uncertain and deeply worried. She hadn't expected that things would turn out like this, especially since she had changed out of her school uniform and went to a less congested area of the mall. She was even careful to not let her face show to the crowd much, and arrive a little earlier than 4 p.m.

But it seems like things didn't work out for her in the end.

"A-are you guys okay?" She stammered, looking from Ryo to Kuroo. "We should g-go to the clinic — "

"Shut up," Kuroo snapped at her, all of his past warmth and affection towards her disappearing in an instant, his tone vicious and threatening. His sudden harshness stunned Keiko and she shut her lips immediately. Standing frozen on the spot, she was appalled at how different Kuroo can be when he wasn't her boyfriend anymore. She thought of arguing back, but then again she had no right to, being the main reason why all of this happened.

Kuroo smoothened down the creases on his shirt before looking at Keiko directly in the eye hard. "I don't want to see you ever again and if you show up in front of me, you'll get it." He spat with disgust, before casting a spiteful glare at Ryo and stalking off.

Kenma looked at Keiko and Ryo with uncertainty for a short while before hurrying off to Kuroo. They went headlong into the crowd once again, with Kenma trying his best to keep up with Kuroo, who was walking at a very fast pace.

He stared at the back of Kuroo as the both of them weaved their way around people and through the crowd. Kuroo's body was stiff and tensed all over — not the relaxed way it usually was. Kenma started to wonder in desperation if there was something he should say to Kuroo, to comfort him a little. Should he just leave him be or was there something he should say?

If only I wasn't this bad with people... Kenma thought, biting his lip. 

As Kenma brainstormed for ways to calm Kuroo, Kuroo quickened his pace, reflexively sliding past people with agility and speed. Kenma was slowly lagging behind, bumping into people by accident as he struggled to keep up with his friend.

Yet, he didn't bother to call out to Kuroo to slow down anymore. He knew that Kuroo would just ignore him as though he hadn't said anything. That was how an incensed guy would act —Kenma knew it all too well based on his past experience. But what he didn't know was how to calm that anger.

Kuroo exited the shopping mall a few metres ahead of Kenma, striding on quickly. He didn't seem like he had any plans to slow down. He crossed the road separating the mall and the train station, his mind clouded with thoughts on what had happened earlier.

To be honest, the fight had been pretty satisfying. Most of his anger had been let out on Ryo, which must have left quite a few bruises that will remain for a long time. He had to admit, Ryo was quite a fighter. It has been a long time since he had such a proper fight and he had to thank Ryo for that. It made him feel more alive.