two

[art by camrina]

two

She came in the next day, looking much better than the day before.

"Hi!" Harry called out upon seeing her. "Welcome to Mini Mart, where the prices are the only things that are mini." His boss wasn't around, but Harry remembered how annoyed she had been with the slogan, which was why he greeted her with it. He wanted a way to start a conversation with her, and what better way to do so than use what annoyed her?

She made her way towards his checkout lane, pushing her sunglasses so that they rested on top of her blue-colored hair. "Seriously, who the hell came up with that slogan?"

Harry grinned. "I did."

Her mouth dropped open. "Are you serious?"

"No," Harry admitted. "My boss did."

"It's not a catchy slogan," she criticized and Harry sighed.

"I know. But he likes it and he's the one who pays me, so I've gotta like it too."

The girl didn't answer, choosing to walk away from Harry instead. He didn't question it verbally, merely raised an eyebrow. He got busy opening packets of quarters and nickels as he awaited her return.

Soon enough, she came back with a can of Arizona tea in her hand.

"Will this be all?" Harry asked, ringing up the drink.

"Yeah," she said and handed him two dollars. "Keep the change."

He handed her the drink and put away the two dollars. When he looked up again, she was walking away. "Wait!" he called, making her turn around.

"What?"

"What's your name?"

"Felecia, but I'd prefer if you called me Fire. Everybody does." She grinned and put on her sunglasses. "Bye, Harry."

Harry stared after her in wonder, Fire running through his mind repeatedly. He wondered, dazed, how she knew his name when he, in fact, had never said it. It was awhile before he finally realized that his name was engraved on his nametag.