Chapter II

An Infuriated Heidi

   It was finally lunch after a boring English class. Evan walked into the cold cafeteria and over towards the lunch line. He picked out a tray with a small square piece of unsightly pizza and he grabbed an apple juice box. The lunch lady glanced at his tray and charged it to his school account.

   Evan sat at a vacant table near the corner of the cafeteria, but not the one actually in the corner, this way he didn't feel as introverted and secluded and he wanted to feel.

   Jared shuffled into the cafeteria with his batman lunchbox (he said "batman is the new black," when asked) and sat across from Evan. "Hey," he said in a tone that made him seem as if he were up to something.

   "Hi Jared," Evan softly replied. "Why aren't you with your 'real friends?'"

   "Ah they weren't here today. Heh. So earlier in the computer lab, huh?"

   Evan looked up slightly. "What about it?"

   "Ev, I saw you with Zoe Murphy. She's hot.. Well for you. But what was she doing talking to you? Not to sound rude or anything."

   "Um she was just talking with me."

   "Really? You were smiling and I think laughing. You got really comfortable really quick," Jared paused and smirked. "Do you," he fake gasped quietly, "like-like Zoe Murphy?"

   "Wha- No." Evan's face was turning red and he could feel it. "I don't like Zoe," Evan said, adding a suspicious amount of emphasis on Zoe's name.

   "You said Zoe like you don't like her, but... someone else?" Jared giggled.

   "Um," Evan muttered. He hadn't told Jared about Evan liking Connor, not to mention, Evan liking a boy. Evan was bisexual but no one knew yet. Evan could barely tell anyone his name without being nervous enough to start stuttering. He tried to play along so Jared would let the topic drop, hopefully.

   Jared looked at Evan, waiting for something. "Well Zoe's um," Evan began.

   "Hmm?"

   "Never mind. I tell you everything, right?" Evan said, an excuse to get out of this conversation.

~

   Evan was finally home. He took off his coat and hung it up on the rack near the front door before heading to his bedroom.

   "Evan, honey? How was school?"

   "Eh, um good," Evan said too quiet for Heidi to actually hear, but she had assumed it wasn't a response any different from his usual nods. This has always infuriated Heidi. It was her fault, she often thought. She wanted a better mother-son relationship, but although she wanted to, she couldn't talk to him. She couldn't find a way.

   "Oh okay.. Um let me know if you need anythi-" she was interrupted by the ringing of the phone. "I'll get it, honey."

   She picked up on the third ring.

   "Hey, Ev? What about Zoe? You do like her, yeah? I can feel your face getting red through the phone! That's great," a teenage boy's voice laughed. Jared Kleinman.

   It was true, though. Jared was right about the face on the phone getting red, except it was Heidi. She turned red with unnecessary, but nonetheless raging anger. She felt ashamed that her son would confide in a family friend, but not his own mother.

   "Ev, you there?" Jared asked, his voice muffled. It sounded like he was eating something. "Evan?"

~~~

Ayy 554 words.. This was pretty short, but it did set stuff up a little.

I did outline the story, so I have an idea of what's coming up :3

Also, Connor and Evan won't be together that much for a while.. (spoiler?)

I'm going to do a lot more Zoe-falls-for-Evan stuff before actual Tree Bros stuff so stay tuned.

Thanks for reading!! I'll see you in the next chapter!

Love y'all.

-Kayla