Chapter XIX

Fine

Two weeks later

Evan was sitting at home, in his room, impassive. He has distanced himself enough. He didn't understand why Connor's anger issues were so extreme or why his emotions could fluctuate so dramatically. He wished he knew why he didn't fix the situation. He wished he could be normal. He had been thinking poorly of himself (more than usual) ever since.

Connor sat in the treehouse less often. He now would also sit in his room and think about the past, hang onto it, and ponder over it for hours. He hated himself. He hurt Evan, but Evan hurt him. I'll just call it even so that I can forget about it, Connor thought on one cool Saturday.

Jared drove to Evan's house on that same Saturday. He hadn't been there in a while, especially because the author kind of forgot about him. Dammit

Jared knocked four times. His signature knock. Evan shouted, "Come in."

He opened the door slowly. It still creaked. Jared strolled into the house quietly as to not disturb the calming silence. He actually enjoyed silence because it allowed him to think. He found that no one was home except for Evan.

He knocked again, this time on Evan's door. He heard shuffling coming from the bed inside. He opened the door anyway. When he did, he noticed the red face that emerged from the covers. He also noticed the odd scent of sweat and hand soap.

"Hey Evan. What's up, how've you been?"

"Hi Jared."

"God, your voice sounds weird. Sick?" Jared moved to the bed and sat of the end, where Evan's feet were. Really, what's up? Are you okay? You don't look okay."

Evan put on a fake smile to fool Jared. "I'm fine. Just the usual stuff, Jared. I mean I talked to Zoe," he gulped, "and all that."

Jared shook his head. "Not buying it."

Evan fidgeted with his hands and looked at the wall behind the other boy. "Ok?"

Jared sighed and changed the subject, forgetting Evan's suspiciousness. "So how's Connor doing?"

Evan's eyes widened slightly and he looked farther away from Jared.

"Evan? Wait. Are you two- ok are you- did he hurt you or something? What happened? Evan," Jared tried. His face went from softened to concerned for his friend.

Evan denied everything. "Really, Jared, I'm okay. I'm fine. Connor's fine. You don't need to worry."

Jared realized Connor had done something. Evan didn't even really know what was going on with anyone, nor did he want to tell Jared, anyway, which would just confuse and aggravate Jared more.

~

Jared had gone home after they had changed the subject, yet again. When he got there, he remembered what Evan had said. He remembered that he wasn't okay for some reason. He decided to call the only person who knows anything.

The phone rang on the other end once. Twice. Three times. Jared was about to hang up, until it clicked and a voice answered.

"Hello? Wait. Jared?"

"Hi. Yeah, Jared. Evan won't talk to me," Jared said.

"Evan?"

"Connor, are you okay?"

~~~

Hello beautiful readers.

This was put together quickly, so heh.

Anyway, how were your spring breaks? Or have you started yours yet? Oof.

Thank you for making it this far into the story..?

-Kayla