Chapter 1

Manhattan,
January 10, 2018.

"Wake up! Cassie wake up or we'll be late. School starts in less  than two hours." My ear rang with the shrill cry of Anabelle.

By instinct, my hand shot up to cover my ears.

Ugh! Why do I have to wake up this early? I reached out and turned on the switch of my alarm. Immediately, the computerized female voice said "The time is 6:30am."

What? 6:30am?

That jolted me out of sleep. I had to be in school by 8:00am. I had one hour and thirty minutes to prepare.

It was my first day in New York University (NYU) and I wanted to start the day bright and early. But all hope wasn't lost yet. I could get dressed real quick if I was determined.

I hurried into the shower and had the quickest bath in history. I washed and towel dried my hair and stepped out of the bathroom.

"Ana, please did you remember to pick out my clothes?" I hope she says yes though. I didn't prepare to wear anything. Wrong move, I know.

Ana had been choosing my outfits and makeup since prom. I was homeschooled for a while because according to the my optometrist, she wanted me to learn effectively before I faced the world. In junior high school, I attended the same school with Ana and we were as close as sisters.

She was finally able to tell her dad to make her stay permanently with us. Uncle Simon remarried and had a set of adorable twin boys, David and Dylan. Their mother, Aunt Olivia was one of the nicest people I knew. She and Ana kicked off as friends the first time they met. Ana even calls her mom now. Each time I, Ana and the twins played, I always remembered Jason.

Well, Jason never came back two weeks after promising to never leave me. I was depressed at first and always wondered his whereabouts. Mom said they relocated back to their native land, Britain, because Gemma wanted to continue her education over there.

I missed him a lot. We were little children but I felt a connection when I was with him. Well, that's by the way. I didn't even know if he was still alive and even if he was, I was certain he would never like me.

I mean, who would want to get involved with a sore ass blind person like me?

"Yes, I prepared your clothes last night." Ana's voice brought me out of my reverie.

"Oh Ana, what will I do without you. You are pure gold!" I spread my hands for her to hug me and she did.

"Enough of the sentiments, let's get you dressed. By the way,  why didn't you blow dry your hair?" She asked as she used her hands to comb through my thick hair.

"I felt it was unnecessary since we're gonna be late if I did so."

"You have to look real pretty on your first day. I'm gonna blow dry your hair and make you up. Now pull that towel off and get dressed." Without hesitation, I removed the towel in front of her, exposing my nakedness. I never hid my body in her presence and although I couldn't see hers, I knew she was hot.

Ana had always been ahead of me in age, class and puberty. She was 5ft 8inches tall and slender and students in high school used to compare her to Gigi Hadid, a popular model. Me? I was just 5ft 5inches and slender as well with a little curves. Ana always wished she had my shape and curves but I never understood her. I didn't feel hot in anyway partly because I couldn't see myself. Based on the numerous questions I asked mom, Dad and Ana, I concluded that I was not so skinny, had a light chocolate skin and jet black curly hair, a little round hips, a slightly pointed nose, not so small eyes, and sparkling white teeth. Mom said I had dad's rich Jamaican beauty.

But it hurt that I couldn't see these features with my own eyes. I just felt something was missing each time I woke up in the morning and slept at night.

I wish I could see!

But I guess in life, you can't have all you want. So instead of worrying myself about my blindness, I got dressed and sat down for Ana to do my hair and makeup. While she did this, Ana told me I wore a light grey sweater, a pair of ripped blue jeans and a pair of black ankle boots. After she was done, she squealed.

"Oh my gosh Cassie, you look so beautiful. I'm sure all the guys in school will have their eyes on you." Her comment made me happy but reality kicked in.

"Yeah right! They'll look at the blind girl and feel pity that's all." I retorted.

"You don't have to rub off your lack of sight every time I compliment you. Believe it or not Cassie, you're beautiful. When I see you, I get jealous at times. So please stop with all these insecurities. Let go of the pain and appreciate the beauty in you." Her words seeped through me and I had a sort of epiphany.

I decided to appreciate myself the way I was created by God. After all, everything happens for a purpose.

"Thanks Ana. I promise I'll look on the bright side of life from now on." I was totally genuine.

"Pinkie promise?" She asked and I laughed out loud. I couldn't remember the last time I did that. Oh actually, I do remember.

When Jason promised to be by my side forever.

Girl, get a grip. You were 5 years old then, now you're 20, stop thinking about what an eight year old boy told you. My subconscious advised

"Pinkie promise. Now let's get the hell outta here. I'm starving." I responded.

We had forty minutes more and decided to eat at a restaurant close to school. That way, we could eat enough. I took hold of my cane and with that, we left the house.

Maxwell, my driver was already waiting for us. He greeted us and opened the door of the sleek white Range Rover (I told dad I wanted a white Range Rover for my 20th birthday). I got in and then Ana did the same.

Ana already gained admission to the University three years ago. As a result of my reluctance to learn when I was young, my education was slow. On our way, she gave me a run through of the school and my schedule for the semester.

We settled into a very cozy cafe which was a ten minute ride away from NYU. I ordered a strawberry milkshake and some waffles while Ana ordered pancakes and a latte. We ate hungrily, not caring about what people thought of us.

Ten minutes later, with our food buried deep down in our stomachs, we left the cafe for the University. I instructed Maxwell to come pick me up by 5pm and then he left. When we got there, the scent of the wind of freedom floated gently through the air and a huge grin plastered on my face.

"Come on girl,  it's time to take over NYU." Ana nudged my shoulder, held my hand and together we walked in.

.... Indeed it was time to take over NYU.

Your thoughts? Yay or Nay?
I'm in love with this story already. And the last part where they "Decided to take over NYU",  I felt the soundtrack should be Demi Lovato's  "Confident".

Agree?

Please show some love by voting and commenting right after you read. It would really make my day if you shared WDL with the rest of your friends on Wattpad as well. See you on the next update!

Love,
Osaro.