Chapter 47

My body shook ferociously as I tried to remember what just happened. A part of me felt it was only a fragment of my imagination but a very loud voice which exerted a guiding influence, felt it was real.

I had met and spoken with my dead Aunt!

This was overwhelming!

The voices of the doctors and nurses seemed distant and faint and I hardly pinpointed their conversation but was glad to be alive.

So her asking me for forgiveness had been a test, and if I had failed, I'd have ended up dead? I pondered.

All these seemed utterly strange but I had an infallible feeling that it was all real. I shuddered slightly but took courage in the fact that she also said I would see again.

"Doctor, when will she be well enough to see?" A voice asked, it was Dad's. I smiled as I remembered that no matter what happens, I will always have God and my family to back me up.

"She is still in a comatose right now but would certainly be awake this evening. For now, we have to make sure she gets enough rest in order for her body to recuperate." Doctor O'Brien seemed to be in a cherry mood as his voice had a hint of perkiness.

"But are you sure she'll see again? Was the operation successful?" Two blatant emotions radiated from mum as she asked. They were hope and disappointment. She hoped I would see and she had disappointment laced with it just in case the doctor's reports contradicted with her hope-filled thoughts.

"I believe the surgery was a success. It was one of the toughest surgeries I've had the opportunity to perform since my thirty-eight years of service in this hospital. It was very critical and I believe at a point, she died in the process." His explanation earned a gasp as everyone was quite shocked. He only sighed and continued,

"We almost lost her and I was starting to feel concerned because like I expounded, she had a thirty percent life guarantee and I was scared it began to falter. But by some divine intervention, her heart began to beat and circulate blood and from the series of tests carried out, we hope to have good news when she awakes." He ended and everyone relaxed.

I was the most ecstatic of them all but I couldn't show my happiness because I still felt tired, frail and sleepy.

So, I dozed off!

Well, not before thinking about the possibility that I would finally get to see the love of my life.

Literally!

Oh thank you so much Lord for this!

    ***********************

"Wake up Cassie!"

I jolted awake by a voice I suspected belonged to a nurse. She helped place me in a sitting position and for that moment, I felt woozy and had the urge to upchuck but she rubbed my back and told me to take deep breaths with my mouth agog. I did as I was instructed and began to get myself back. She asked me a few questions as regards to my health and I replied in the affirmative. She left soon after and two minutes later, the door swung open.

"Holy Shit! She's awake." Ana squealed and rushed forward to grab me. Fortunately, I had just the right amount of strength to hug her in return.

"Language Ana!" Mum cut in and dad chuckled. They both stepped in to give me hugs that I appreciated.

"I love you all so much." I remarked and they screamed ‘I love you’ in unison, squeezing me till I couldn't breathe.

"I need air, I can't breathe." I barely whispered and they scurried off me like I was some sort of glass that could break at anytime. All I wanted was for them to loosen their hold on me, not back off like I had the flu.