Twenty. (2023 Update.)

Twenty.

A knock came on the bedroom door, pulling my attention from the tv. I stared at the door, watching as it slowly opened. My eyes trained on Matt and Juliet as they both stepped into the bedroom. They held their hands up, telling me they were coming in peace. It had been two days since I returned, and things had been tense between us. Jackson had opted to stay out of the drama, playing Switzerland.

"Please, can we talk? No shouting or violence?" Matt asked, causing me to raise an eyebrow in question. The only person who had been shouting and using violence was Matt. I hadn't gotten a single word in whenever he wanted to talk. It's why Juliet was in the room with us. Not to keep the peace but to make sure Matt didn't get too violent with me.

"Matt, I don't know what you want me to say. Every time you've wanted to talk, you refuse to let me get a word in - " Matt growled, stopping when the twins shot up from the bed on either side of me. I bit my lower lip and casually placed my hands on their thighs under the blanket, attempting to calm them down. But, unfortunately, this conversation would not end the way he wanted.

"Rome, please. I just...I'm trying to understand why you'd leave us like this. I always knew that you'd leave once you found your mate, but to abandon your position...during an assignment, it's not you. I need to understand why you've...betrayed me - betrayed us?" I kept silent, listening to Matt express himself the best he could without letting his anger take over.

Tightening my grip on the twins, I sighed, unsure what to say. I knew that the moment I picked the twins, this would happen. I knew this would happen, and I still decided on the twins - a decision I didn't make lightly and one I wouldn't regret.

"Who would protect me?" The question escaped, causing Matt and Juliet to furrow their brows. During my time with Max, I had a lot to think about. I thought about many things, and honestly, I thought about things I shouldn't have. I questioned why it always had to be me do ng all the rescuing. Why did I have to be the one to marry Juliet? Why did I have to be the one to put myself second?

Why did I have to be the one who sacrificed everything and myself for others? When was it finally going to be my turn? To have someone offer themselves for me? To protect me? Not that I needed anyone to do that for me, but the thought made me realize that while I did grow up and mature, I didn't mean I was healed. It didn't mean I didn't crave the idea of someone going through hell and back for me, as I've done for so many.

"What?" Matt asked, running his hand through his hair. His eyes locked with mine, and for a moment, it seemed Matt may have understood what I meant. I could see the realization slowly start to dawn on him. It wasn't literal needs I needed, but the thought. The comfort of knowing someone would always be there for me - something the twins have been trying to convey to me from the start.

The twins have always wanted to protect me and sacrifice themselves for me. So when they rejected me on request, I understood that the twins were willing to do whatever it meant to protect their pack and to protect me.

"Who would protect me," I repeated myself; the anger slipped out as I stood on the bed and carefully stepped down until I was face to face with Matt, "Who would sacrifice themselves for me? The way I've sacrificed everything? Matt, I never betrayed you or the pack. I only escalated my plans. I will take my position as the Luna of the Isles pack and continue my work with the Victoria pack. You," I paused, jabbing my finger against Matt's chest, "Need to focus on everything else."

I could see the anger in Matt's eyes as he stared down at me. The anger he felt must have been overwhelming when he grabbed my wrist. I could hear the bones pop, and the burning sensation radiated throughout my arm as I held back my cry of pain, "We did everything for you." Matt gasped out, his grip tightening on me. The desperation in his voice caused me to swallow.