Hour Three: Gabriel

Hour Three (9:16 pm):

The sound of the door slamming echoes in my head. Over and over again. All I can do for the longest few seconds of my life is stare at the dark wood in shock, my brain trying to process what just happened.

I had hear something earlier, and because of my fucking curiosity, I'm trapped in what I deem to be the most dangerous part of the fucking house. The damn basement. The place where dead bodies are buried, where people are tortured. This place is like a damn dungeon set up perfectly to mute the screams of their victims.

I do not want to be a victim.

My back still feels hands pressing up against them, pushing at my body, forcing me to move forward without permission. My only saving grace is that the first step is a few feet through the door. Otherwise, I would be down at the bottom with a broken leg, knocked out, and at the mercy of whoever just shoved me through the fucking door.

I slowly reach out to the door knob, my brain already telling me what I don't want to know. I fumble for a bit, searching for the knob before finding it and twisting. It doesn't open.

Fucking shit.

"Oy," I call out. "The doors locked."

Silence.

"Luke! North! Anyone?"

A floorboard behind me creaks and I stiffen, refusing to turn around. I'm stuck here, in the dark, without the flashlight that fell on the other side of the door. I couldn't see shit, didn't want to see shit, and I am a strong believer in if you can't see it then it doesn't exist. Right now, I'm fucking living off of that motto. If I don't turn around, if I don't try to see, then it can't exist. Right?

Fucking wrong!

Another creak.

I bite my lip to keep in the whimper building up in my throat. The temperature drops down quickly, forcing goosebumps along my skin. The little hairs at the back of my neck stand up alert, demanding that I listen to my instincts.

I bang against the door hard, ignoring the sting. "Luke, I need you to open the fucking door right fucking now."

I admit at the end, my voice went up a bit, turning into a near squeak.

I need to get out of here now. I may not be like Mr. B or Kota. I'm a strong believer in other things existing out there just because it doesn't make sense for humans to dominate the world, that if humans can exist, then why not other things.

"Gabe?" Luke's voice is barely audible through the thick door. Damn. "The door is stuck."

I hear a rumble of other voices and determine everyone finally fucking showed up.

"Open the door," I yell louder.

"Gabe, are you there?" Luke calls out.

"Yes! I'm here. Now get this door open. Now. Please."

I hear a rumble and Luke responds, "I don't think he's there, maybe he went down further."

"Fuck no!" I yell pounding on the door. "I'm here."

Another creak, as if someone is inching their way up the damn steps, getting closer and closer to me.

My hair ruffles and a cold breath hits the back of my neck. The air fills with the scent of a soft musk with a sweet undertone. A little fruity.

Ghost. Ghost. Ghost. It's definitely a ghost.

I lean against the door, my eyes closed tight. Someone is definitely behind me. I can feel them there, touching me, watching me.