Hour Five: Sean

Hour Five (11:22 pm):

I lead with Gabriel behind me as we climb the stairs to the second floor, where I'm pretty sure most of the creepiness is. Gabriel's hand is fisted in my shirt, stretching it out. His breathing is a little too fast and I want to stop to make sure he's okay, that he won't hyperventilate and pass out.

He's been like this since he got locked in the basement. I can't imagine the terror he went through, even if I see the signs of stress on his face. The houses we had gone to in the past is nothing compared to this. This house feels...lived in, despite being empty for so many years.

"Calm down, Gabriel," I whisper and his grip tightens on my shirt, nearly choking me. I stop and turn, my flashlight lighting everyone following behind. The stairs is crowded with everyone, especially at the back. Nathan trails behind everyone but it seems no one wants to be at the complete back.

They've seen enough horror movies to know the last person at the back is screwed.

"I'm not moving on until you get a hold of yourself," I say. "I don't want you fainting."

"I don't faint," he snaps.

I grin. "You definitely do. You swoon hard, dropping like rocks."

His blue eyes narrow with anger. "Do not."

I lean forward, using the extra height the steps give me to my advantage. "Do too. Now calm down so we can get up there and searching."

Gabriel pulls in air through his nose and then releases it slowly out of his mouth. I reach over and rest my hand on his neck, able to feel the pounding of his pulse. Once it slows down, I give him a little squeeze and release him, turning back around to face the dark stairs twisting up to the second floor.

I suppress a shiver, not knowing if it's because it's now night outside and it's cooler out or if it's because a ghost is in our presence. I try not to think about it too much. I don't care what Owen says on the topic. Ghosts exist and the one here needs our help.

When we get to the second floor, I move to the right to give everyone space to get up here. The hallway quickly grows crowded with bodies. Half of the guys needs to lay off the protein a little, their bulk taking up more space than they needed too.

"Where are we starting?" Victor asks.

"How about the big bedroom?" Nathan asks.

No one disagrees and Luke takes lead, opening the door and going in with Nathan behind, the large camera catching everything going.

The room is bare, with only a couple of loose debris, like a box, a couple scraps of paper. Owen checks the paper and after he deemed them useless, left them as a pile in the corner.Everything has a layer of thick dust and the room smells stale.

"This used to be a nice house," I remark, taking in the large space.

Kota nods. "It was a growing neighborhood for a bit, but then people decided to move elsewhere. There are a couple of half developed houses down the road, just left abandoned."

"Are the EVP or EMF devices picking anything up?" Owen asks using the little camera to focus on the two of them. They hold the devices before them and check the screen.

Victor and Kota shake their heads at the same time. "Nothing," Kota says.

"This room is a dud," Luke says with a small frown as he glances around.

North is staring out the door, eyes narrowed.

"North?" I ask, glancing at the door and only seeing dark shadows.