Prologue part 2: Visions of Death

Once Morena was gone and Lucian was merely staring into the empty corridors of the royal quarters, he started to make his way towards the other side of the halls, rushing through the maze of twists and turns he knew by heart. The Albion royal castle was a large building, fortified countless of times throughout the years. Every king before him had added their own secret chambers, which made the castle a labyrinth of halls--a graveyard of secrets. Despite the cold, it had been his home for over thirty years.

Seeing it burn, made Lucian's heart ache.

When he was outside, his daughter tucked tightly against his chest, the lingering frost that covered most of Albion froze him to the bone. Spring had started in all other kingdoms, yet so close to the Northern Reach, winter never seemed to fade. It made Lucian long for the days he spent in Narin for his studies.

Those thoughts were quickly wiped from his mind when he reached the inner courtyard where the Royal Guard was readying for the oncoming fight. The metal of their weapons--a mixture of swords, axes, and maces--shone brightly in the blue light of the moon. They looked ready for what was to come, but Lucian knew one could never be ready for what followed from war.

One was never ready for death.

"Kay," he called out for the Captain of the Guard. The tall man was yelling orders at his men, making sure they knew what was expected of them while defending the castle. Lucian could only admire him for his calmness in the chaos that followed from the breach.

"Your majesty," the captain bowed his head, his hand on his heart as an expression of his loyalty. "My men have fortified the inner gate and secured the doors to the castle. They will make sure your family is safe."

"I expected nothing less of you, my friend, but I'm afraid it will not be enough."

"My king, have you Seen something?"

"I don't have to see the future to know the castle will fall tonight, Kay. You have always served my House well. I know no better man to entrust the lives of my family with than you. I wish things were different, but I have one final request of you," he told the captain. A slight frown covered Kay's brow for a moment. His eyes darted to the little bundle of blue fabric in Lucian's hand and the uncertainty was quickly replaced with the same determination Lucian had seen in his wife's eyes earlier.

His daughter stirred in his arms, a soft noise escaping her throat. "Take her somewhere safe," Lucian swallowed hard, feeling the consequence of what he had to do weigh heavily on his heart. "I'm not asking this as a king to his captain," he continued, knowing Kay would never leave behind his men unless he was ordered to. Lucian needed him to understand this order was as hard for him to give as it was for the captain to obey. "I'm asking you this as a father and a friend. Take her far away from here and keep her safe."

"Of course," Kay nodded, no hint of hesitation or reluctance. "How do I send word to you once the princess is safe? How will you find us again?"

When Lucian remained silent, letting the unspoken words linger between them, he could see the understanding and sorrow in the captain's eyes. There would be no need for sending word. There would be no need for finding them. After tonight, there would be no need for anything.

At least not for Lucian.

Kay nodded only once before taking the bundle of fabric with bright blonde hair peeking through from the king's arms. Lucian kissed his daughter one final time, before truly letting her go. The captain had never been a man of many words and neither did he speak now as he turned around and rushed toward the stables. Lucian swallowed hard, watching the only child he would ever have, be taken away from him.