Chapter 6: Night of Retribution

Hey, my lovely readers! A quick note from me. I just wanted to thank everyone for the support these past few weeks ❤. I've been so overwhelmed with all the kind comments I've been given. I never thought that Wattpad would feature A Crown of Lies after just 2 months of writing this story and a few chapters. I especially wanted to thank @-Razzle- who has been so kind to me!

Anyway, thank you for reading A Crown of Lies and I hope you'll enjoy the story. Happy reading!

The tall blades of grass vibrated against Morgan's bare feet as a hot, dry wind swept over the wasted field. She sucked in a deep breath, feeling the thick smoke fill her lungs as bright flames spread further and further.

"I'm going to kill him," she breathed, keeping her gaze on the young man on the other side of the ruined camp. Her hands reached for the twin blades she had taken from her tent, feeling the cool leather of the hilts fall into her sweaty palms.

"We need to get out of here," Carter objected, wiping the sweat from his brow. Cries of agony echoed around them while the sounds of battle grew closer. "If the fire doesn't kill us, the smoke surely will."

Nesryn shook her head, looking at their fellow wardens through the black fumes that rose from the burning camp. Her brow was creased in anger for all the lives that were lost. "We can't just leave. We need to help the others. Whoever those bastards are, we can't let them get away with this," she cursed.

"Are you insane? We don't even have all of our weapons. We'll be dead before we can even reach the others!"

"We have no choice," Morgan interrupted, feeling the weight of the blades in her hands push her towards the battle that was fought in the blazing heat. "We took an Oath to serve and protect, Carter," she said sternly. "You know the punishment the Wizard King gives to deserters."

"Fine," he sighed, pulling his sword from his belt while Nesryn already aimed her crossbow into shadows in front of them. She released the bolt and it seared through the air, cutting through the thick smoke before being swallowed up by the flames. A cry of pain sounded ahead of them, followed by a shout of victory.

A clear and loud sign to start their assault.

Carter was hesitant but still followed as Nesryn and Morgan ran across the camp. Tents collapsed left and right, the fabric breaking apart in strands of blackening cloth. The warmth of the flames wrapped around them in a suffocating blanket of sweat and death. Glazed eyes of the Dead stared up at them from their place on the ground as they walked deeper into the battle.

When Morgan's blades collided with the first metal and flesh, she could feel the hairs on her arms stand on end despite the heat. She moved fast and efficiently, hearing Carter's heavy breathing beside her as he finished the jobs she started. Nesryn was a few feet behind them, clearing the way towards the center of the camp where Aidan was still shouting orders and cutting down every warden that attacked him.

Some of the prisoners had freed themselves from their bonds and were fighting against the Black Guard with weapons they had stolen from the wardens. The other men and women that charged at Morgan with weathered maces and axes were unknown to her. The sigils that embellished their green cloaks, however, told her they were part of one of the Great Houses of Oberon. Loyal Houses to a dead king that had all been cast down when the Wizard King had taken the lands--Houses that had now united into a rebellion.

"Look out!" Carter yelled, pulling his sword from one of the dead rebels.

Morgan turned around, seeing a woman charging at her with a large, heavy hammer. She quickly put her twin blades up, blocking the attack with the skill and speed of years and years of training. The woman growled, pushing hard against Morgan's defenses. She clenched her teeth, kicking the woman back and untangling her twin blades before plunging them into the woman's side. The woman's eyes grew wide with terror and the hammer left her hand, falling to the ground with a thud.