Chapter Three: King Ben

It had been two weeks since Harry Hook had watched Mal disappear behind the corner of the school. Two weeks of creeping around and carefully following and listening to hushed conversations between Evie and Mal. He'd since long understood their codewords and oh-so-sneaky grins. 

But there was more he'd noticed. Like that everytime Mal left Ben's room she'd look disappointed, or how she'd speed up everytime she heard footsteps, as if she thought it was someone who wanted something from her. And that did not make him happy. Every time he saw Mal walk out of there on the verge of crying he wanted to walk in there and punch Ben in his stupid face. And it did definitely  not help that the few times he got a look inside Ben's room before Mal shut the door, he could see Ben sit completely unbothered by his desk.

This had happened more and more under the past two weeks and it made Harry wanting to rip his hair out. But he had to keep low profile and so that's what he did.

And because no one told him what he was doing, Ben didn't realise how much more distant he'd become. He just did his duty to the kingdom. That exact thought was also his argument to why he did bad in school, or any other obstacle he had to get through. But the more he used said point, the more he realised that that might not be the case.

Left for him to realise was that he had to prioritise others, friends and family, too. But that thought was for him to find out late, maybe even too late. 

Now, however, Ben was not in his room looking through papers. Right in this moment he was standing next to Mal by their locker, talking and laughing with her. Only, he was so blinded by all the work he had that he thought that they this constantly.

"You're adorable." He exclaimed as Mal blushed and laughed. Mal felt her heart sink at the words, for the sole reason that she felt so far away from Ben, even though she was standing right next to him. She knew that in minutes she would have to leave him for class and wouldn't see him for the rest of the day. That was how it always went. Everyday. One meeting a day.

Considering that they were together, that was not a lot of time. Still, Mal put up her facade mostly because she didn't want to fight the few moments she had with the king. Only this was breaking her apart. 

"That would be my cue," Ben sighed as he saw Jay and Carlos walking towards their next class. He shut his locker and turned the lock. "I'll see you later, my princess."

Mal sighed at this. She knew soon would mean tomorrow, or the day after that, and it hurt. And she knew that she couldn't keep up the facade forever, that would break her. But she didn't want to succumb to the inevitable, not yet.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Nevermind, Mal thought as she felt the tears forming in her eyes. Now was the time. THey had been doing this for too long and it was too much for her to bare. She was standing in front of Ben's desk, speaking to him, but he wasn't there. Not really. She just wanted to have him back, the real Ben. But no, all he cared for was the kingdom. A good king might take care of his kingdom, but a great king cares for his queen. She remembered Belle, Ben's mother, tell her that one time when she had witnessed Ben being so distant to Mal. Maybe she was right, Mal thought, and Ben was only a good king.

But to do what she wanted, needed, to do... for that she needed courage. She felt a tear roll down her cheek but Ben didn't notice. He was in his own little world of work and papers. Now was the time, Mal thought again, no going back now.

"Ben?" Mal said under her breath. This was it, and Ben wasn't even listening. "Ben." She said again, this time louder. Ben looked up from his papers.

"What's up Mal?" He said with an almost annoyed undertone. 

"We need to talk-" Mal started but Ben interrupted her.

"Can we do it later?" He asked, only a little apologetic. "I have a lot to do and now is not the time."

Mal bit her lip. If she said okay now she would never be able to try again. C'mon! She mentally kicked herself. 

"No, now is the time." The voice that spoke was not one she recognized. It was her own, but it was at the same time not. "I need to talk to you, now."

Ben looked surprised. He put down the pile of papers he was holding and came around his desk. He looked so worried and in that moment she thought that she had made a mistake, that she had to apologize and not say anything else. But at the same time she knew, this worried, loving, present Ben was only momentary. 

"Mal," He put his hand on her cheek, but she turned her head away. "Mal?"

"I can't do this anymore." She said. It's done now. Ben looks confused at first.

"Mal, you can't do what?" He asked under his breath as tears formed in his eyes. Mal had to turn around.

"I can't do us," she whispered. "I can't be with you."

Then she leaves. Ben stood completely still. He took a ragged breath and leaned on the desk. Then, with tears running down his cheeks he ran out in the hallway, but Mal had already gone.

******************************************************************

Sorry for the long episode.

I do not own Descendants or any of the characters. (Sadly)