Chapter Four

Up on the top floor of the castle, Minx, Pewdie and Krism sat in a large study room, around a wide table which had papers and several scrolls strewn over it. Minx was making her way through the taxes, while Pewdie was examining the laws, and Krism had been coming back and forth into the room, carrying more documents and binders each time. There was the furious sound of scribbling coming from where Minx was getting rid of the taxes she thought they didn’t need, which seemed to be almost all of them.

“Tax for having a beard. Two bronzes a month. You have got to be fucking kidding me.” Minx sighed, resting her elbow on the table

 “This law says that a trial is not needed if there are more than three eye witnesses. What the hell, how do you know those witnesses aren’t liars?” Pewdie had been reading out every questionable law for Minx’s approval, and the ones she didn’t like would be scratched out along with the taxes.

“We don’t, but the logic was that if people were ganging up on him he would be a bad guy anyway. Oh, and that should be all the papers you asked for, uh, Minx.”

Minx looked over at Krism and smiled, approving of the informal use of her name.

“Thankyou. Now, I need for the marketplace to be fixed up as soon as possible, so that we can put the new laws and shit in place on a firm starting base. I need you to make some sort of announcement calling for anyone who builds, repairs, paints. If they help out now, they will be given jobs in the future. We can hardly pay them while others are doing it for free with what little they have, but we will need them for jobs in the future.”

Krism nodded, and briskly walked out of the room, and only a few minutes later Minx could hear the echoes of Krism’s amplified voice from the town. Minx was glad to have Krism with her. She was very helpful, and didn’t ask questions. She did want to get to know the girl a little better, though. She looked back at the stack of papers in front of her, and picked up her quill again.

“It’s going to be a long day, Pewds.”

An hour or two later, Pewdie passed his scroll to Minx, saying,

“That’s all I can think of right now. Look over them and see what you think, I’m going to get a drink. You want one?”

Minx nodded, grateful. Pewdie stood up and started to head towards the door, and Minx called out to him,

“You seemed a little distracted, Pewds. You okay?”

“Yeah, this is just a little overwhelming. The whole thing. And I think- I left behind a girl, Minx. I just hearing this voice in my head, but I can’t place it. I miss her a lot.”

Minx gave him a small smile. She hadn’t remembered anything yet, but she was glad he was making progress, already. He must love this girl.

“Don’t worry. We’ll get this done and you’ll be back with her before you know it.”

Pewdie nodded, appreciating her comfort. He headed out of the door to get their drinks.

After another few hours, Krism came back, accompanied by Cry and Ken. They all looked worn out, and Minx and Pewdie put down their papers, inviting them to sit.

“They’re making good progress down there. More and more people joining in by the second.” Ken sat back in his chair as he said this, rocking it back, with his arms above his head and feet on the table.

“Good. This is a good start.” Minx smiled around at her friends, trying to keep their weary spirits up. It was only their first day, and Minx knew they all had a lot of work to do. She noticed Cry looked on the edge of saying something, but was looking over at Krism, as if she held him back.