Chapter Seven

“Amazing what a sleeping spell and a surprise attack can do.”

“Why?” The first thing out of Crys mouth ignored what the spirit had just said, and was a question, a demand, his tone low. He stood stock still, aware of Entoan standing opposite him, eyes burning red, his arms crossed and mouth smirking. Although he was fairly short, he was a guard for a reason, and knew how to do his job. Ken turned around to face Cry, and his eyes too were a bright red.

“Had to get your attention somehow. We need your corpse. Care to volunteer?”

“It won’t work. Minx is wrong.”

“You don’t know that. It’s worth a try, right? I can’t leave this body for a while, so why waste time waiting? We can use you instead of Ken.”

“Our world is no better than here. Much smaller. Much less chaos.”

“I can see past your veil of lies. Don’t even try.”

Suddenly, the sound of choking came from opposite Cry. Entoan was gasping for breath, clutching at his throat, where his necklace was constricting his throat. Ken spun around, looking at Entoan and then at Snake, who was concentrating on the necklace, his metal ability surging through him. Ken went to run at Snake, but Cry intercepted him by leaping onto his back, bringing out the cutlass in his belt and bringing it up to Kens throat. Ken surprised him by pushing his body weight forward, flipping him over Kens head and landing on his back in front of the man. It was at that moment that Cheyenne rushed at Ken from the side, pushing him over, and Snake stood up to run over too, breaking his bonds in one fluid motion. Ken had stood up quickly, as his reflexes were fast, and had his dagger in hand. However he did not go to make his move. Instead he stood, dagger in hand, warding away Chey and Snake. The he looked directly at Cry. Silence filled the room, only broken by the broken breaths of Entoan, who was now on the verge of passing out.

“Cry, your friend here is going to take an innocent life. Entoan didn’t want this. You know this isn’t him.”

Snake at Cry, confused.

“He’s right. Entoan is innocent.”

Snake released his grip on the metal necklace. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Chey concentrating hard, eyes closed. She had the ability to speak in other peoples minds, and read their thoughts, see their memories. She had always been of the opinion it was invasive, and didn’t use it often, but now was the perfect time to send for help.

"Now, Cry. Fancy volunteering?"

"Not today, friend. I don’t have to kill you to stop you."

What Cry was not banking on was the sheer power Ken had inherited from the Nogitsune. Quicker than he could even see, he lunged at Cry with his sword. Cry quickly swiped his hand, knocking the sword out of Kens hands with his Vox magic, barely dodging a bad wound. Ken glared at Cry, his low tone letting his anger show.

"Oh, it's like that is it? Two can play at that game." Ken outstretched his hands towards Cry, who suddenly he felt his stomach churn. There was a horrible pain, and he felt one of his ribs crack. He felt like there was a great pressure pressing down on him, the Nogitsunes dark magic squeezing his organs and making it hard to breathe.

"Cry-" Cheyenne began to walk towards him, alarmed, but both she and Snake were thrown back by a quick gesture from Entoan, who had just recovered. The guard went over and brought his boot up to kick Snakes head, bashing it against the wall and making him join the land of the unconscious, like most of his friends.

Cry didn't know what to do. His power, although remarkable, was outmatched by the pure evil of the Nogitsune. It was getting hard to think straight, and his knees buckled, coughing up blood on the floor. At that moment, Minx loudly entered the room shoving the door open, making it bang against the wall. Kens concentration was diverted, and the pressure on Cry lessened, which was a relief. After her came Red and Russ, followed by- Marzia? She seemed much healthier than when Cry had last seen her, but why had Minx brought her here?