prologue

"min ara?"

she looked up. eyes glanced into the dark abyss of her soul. tugging and teasing at the emotions threatening to spill. holding everything together. piece by piece.

heavy feet dragged her to the pale room, glittered with abstract paintings and furniture. she lowered herself onto the seat, her body numb. she felt as though she was watching herself from afar, third person.

her movements slow and lazy.

her hooded eyes focused on the shoes in front of her, belonging to a male that was undoubtably looking at her expectantly. she felt him shift in his seat, legs crossing and arms relaxing.

looking up languidly, eyes meeting and interlocking once again. her looking away quickly, focusing back on his shiny shoes.

he spoke again.

"hello, min ara. i'm kim taehyung, your new psychologist."

he watched her.

she sat tense, fists clenched, already on the defence.

her shoulder length, chocolate hair fell forward. curving around her squared, dainty glasses that rested on her nose elegantly. eyes looking down, blatantly avoiding eye contact. she bit at her full lips, colouring them with spots of red. unable to feel anything.

she didn't reply to him. simply sat in silence, eyes focused elsewhere and body tight.

the outline of her bony knees could be seen through her leggings. legs tightly pursed together. a long, grey cardigan covered her arms and shoulders, buttoned up at the front. a veil of protection. hiding her vulnerable self.

his lip twitched up at the corner subtly. perfect, his mind spoke. she was weak, lethargic and held no self belief. he could read her, as well as anyone else, like a book. the more he'd get to know her, the more the chapters would pass and the pages would decrease. then the book would end, just like she would.

it wouldn't be difficult, he judged.

"ara." his lips formed her name as his voice box vibrated the sound from his body. deep, husky voice sounding calm and reassuring. an unknown agenda behind the charade he'd so effortlessly perform.

her head tilted upwards, towards taehyung. her eyes focusing on his face, anywhere but his eyes. refusing to make eye contact. no noise emitted from her. no hum. no grumble. no nothing.

she simply stared.

taehyung stared back, the loose papers on his lap feeling suddenly abundant from her gaze. wanting to move around, he was frozen in his chair.

he realised something.

the look behind her dark orbs. the lack of emotion, responsibility and life made his fingers twitch with uncertainty.

he was wrong.

so wrong.

she wasn't like the others.

she was different.

he couldn't put his finger on it. the complete loss of soul and being that rested within her. it almost challenged him.

i dare you.

i dare you to fix me.

to fix the unfixable.

because what's the point of trying to kill something that's already dead.

his other patients had a shred of hope and life within them. a flame that was so easy to put out.

an intense feeling of power and happiness flooded him when he would watch as his words put out their flame. his words were like daggers, stabbing and stabbing at their will live. the fight for survival. and they would lose. taehyung would win. every single time.

but,

her flame was already out.

long gone.

her fight for survival had already been lost.

yet she was still here.

still alive and breathing.

darkness and depression encompassed her like a cold hug, one that's not wanted but received anyway.

taehyung was interested. something about her called to him. curiosity the only thing now flooding his thoughts. the intent on ending her life had been swept from his mind. now only hard concentration was etched onto his features as he continued staring at her.

where's the fun in taking a lollipop from a kid that doesn't even like lollipops.

he would build her up. remake her life and personality. make her see the light in life. then take it all away by making it come crashing down. watching as the life that he'd made in her eyes started to dull once again.

he resisted the urge to smirk.

his most alluring and amusing case yet was sat right in front of him.

and he couldn't wait to get started.