part 4

ara didn't show up to their next session. she hadn't cancelled, hadn't called in. she just didn't turn up.

taehyung tried pretending he wasn't bothered, but it tugged away at his mind, even as he went home. where had she been? he wasn't going to act like he cared about her, because he didn't, he just let his curiosity own him.

he sat on a stool in his kitchen, his fingers tapping irregularly at the counter top. he was home alone, not that he minded, it just caused him to get more lost in his thoughts. he half thought of calling her, but that seemed too intimate, like they were... friends.

the nagging at his brain telling him to go find her, go speak to her, made his fists clenched. shut up, shut up, shut up. he needed a release, a way to ease the tension.

he stood up, eyes narrowing. he needed to kill someone, feel their thick, warm blood coat his fingers like crimson gloves. feel the weapon poised between his fingers crack through bones and tear organs. he needed the satisfaction of pulling someone's soul from their body, needed it now.

he couldn't, wouldn't. he remained inside, pushing his urges deep deep down within himself. he had to try and keep some self control, otherwise the killer inside would get the better of him and he'd get caught.

he rolled his shoulders back, licking his lips as he imagined ara's limp body in his arms. her pale, lifeless face staring up at him. he blinked, nausea seemed to take over, as if he was repulsed at the thought of killing her. he almost laughed, he loved killing, god it made him feel alive, the irony. but as he thought of her death, his mind and heart retracted, caving in on itself and shivering.

he narrowed it down to the possibility of being over tired, his brain wasn't thinking right. he needed sleep.

so he slept that night, his dreams laced with ara's voice and face.

the following morning taehyung decided to give ara a call, make sure she was okay. his mind had been clouded with her and the only way to shake her from his thoughts was to check up on her.

so he waited as the phone rang, sorting through paperwork spread on his desk. he almost stopped breathing when he heard her answer.

"hello?" her quiet voice called out.

"hey, ara. it's taehyung. i just wanted to check on you, you wasn't at our session yesterday." he said, his fingers neglected the papers in front of him at her voice.

there was a pause, then, "yeah, sorry, i didn't feel very well."

taehyung hummed at her vague answer but accepted it anyway. "alright, i'll see you in a couple of days for our next session!"

she made a small noise that taehyung interpreted as a goodbye, then the line went dead. he fought the sigh threatening to escape his lips, every time he thought he was close to figuring ara out it seems as if she would just throw it in his face and fuck his thoughts up.

ara did show up for their next session, her knee length cardigan swayed as she walked diligently beside taehyung. her usual glasses rested on her small nose, tilting forward a bit as she faced the floor.

her footsteps were light and almost inaudible as they walked through the city. taehyung had suggested going to get some fresh air during their session, giving her a chance to clear not only her head but his own.

when he saw ara stood in the waiting room his heart practically leaped in anticipation. he tried not to let his thoughts get the better of him, a twinge if excitement edging away at his usually cold heart.

"do you often come to the city?" taehyung asked, ignoring how close she was to his side as she avoided bumping into pedestrians. he felt her elbow brush up against him every now and then and he didn't like admitting it made his breath hitch.

she shrugged slightly, her cardigan shifting at the movement. "sometimes, but i don't ever come alone."

his mind whirled right to the meaning of that statement, she had someone to come to the city with. he kept his facial expression neutral and vaguely interested, despite the aching urge of questioning that rested on his tongue.

"do you usually come with someone?" he tried to keep it casual, laid back, but it came out tighter than he'd intended.

she didn't seem to notice as her head dipped forward in a nod. "my-" she cut herself off, as if revealing who she went to the city with would cause a problem. he looked down at her, the look in her eyes unreadable as she seemed to rummage through her thoughts.

"a family friend." she recollected herself as she murmured the words. but taehyung was still confused, why had she hesitated so long just to say that?

he decided against questioning her further, as it would make her self-conscious. so he kept his thoughts at bay, a whirlwind of unanswered questions and curiosity was going on in his mind.

silence followed them as they continued to walk, however taehyung kept one eye on the petite girl beside him. she avoided all human interaction, so fiercely she staggered into taehyung once when somebody got too close. he felt a twinge of satisfaction at the fact she was so comfortable being closer to him, leaning into his side as if she was a lost puppy in need of coddling.

they stood at a crossing, waiting for the traffic to ease down. he had half a thought to subtly push her in front of an oncoming car, however his heart and mind seemed to recoil and hiss at the thought of doing such a thing. he tried not to frown, the only people his mind hated to think of hurting were jin and jia (jin's daughter), whom he considered family.

it was different with ara.

he didn't consider her as anything except a mentally ill woman whom had unknowingly become his next victim. the thought of her as his victim somehow made him shudder slightly, an unpleasant feeling washing over him. what had suddenly upset his destructive mind?

he crossed the road, watching as ara quickly moved to stand on the other side and in front of the building where they held their sessions.

the sight of her- he almost paused in the middle of the road.

it was as if he'd been slapped awake and reality had bundled into him like a drunk friend. something deep inside him, very deep, was telling him to protect her. it was as if his entire instincts had shifted whilst he was around her, his entire being and violent behaviour had turned around. it shook him to his core.

he didn't realise he was staring at her until he noticed the pink tint creeping up on her nose and cheekbones. he smiled at her embarrassment, watching as she avoided his eye contact.

and taehyung knew then. knew that this girl was changing him.