part 7

silent.

there were no words to speak as taehyung walked his patient home from an interesting meeting with her inmate father. eyes narrowed and nose twitching the entire way, ara seemed distracted in her own dark mind.

she hadn't asked what her father wanted to say to taehyung, perhaps she was too shy, felt like it wasn't her business. she was right. it wasn't her business and taehyung would pass it off as nothing if she ever worked up the courage to confront him about it.

which will never happen.

her knee length cardigan swung in the slight breeze and her legs looked painfully bony in her black leggings. could only dream of how absolutely beautiful she would look if she filled out her body and ate correctly.

turning up to a run down block of flats, ara slowed her pace to the front door, sidestepping a group of haughty looking women that were laughing loudly amongst themselves.

"thanks for coming. i'll see you at our next session." ara muttered, not making eye contact and just staring after the group of rowdy women that faded into the distance of the buzzing city streets.

"don't dwell on the meeting with your dad. you're better than him." he knew he hit the right nerve as she subtly flinched, as if feeling like she more of a waste of space than a criminal.

"i-" she stopped her words, getting obviously wound up with herself and having some internal conflict.

"how about i come in for some tea and a chat?" taehyung offered, a sickly friendly smile planted on his soft mouth.

she looked at him for so long he felt she'd never reply. the way she looked- something deeper, darker, hidden, was beneath those eyes and it was frustratingly alluring. they weren't welcoming, they were closed off, and others would've ran the other way but taehyung wanted to let himself in.

"sure." she spoke so quietly he barely heard it, but she got out her keycard and scanned it to open the door that she had difficulty pushing open wide enough.

so little. so fragile.

it was almost delicious, could taste it on the top of his tongue. she was so vulnerable to death and misperception, it made him hungry.

but he mentally cringed as he followed her into the dirty elevator. he imagined her fresh blood splattered on the walls, coating his slender fingers and dotted across his face like freckles. the thought made him shudder, not in a good way.

what?

big eyes looked down at her, focusing on her entire being. he could read her so easily, but he couldn't read himself. the thought of her vulnerability had his instincts wanting to wrap his arms around her and shield her from the cruel world.

but he was the cruelty in the world.

nothing made sense and his breathing unknowingly grew stronger, faster. everything he felt like he knew, he loved, was being turned upside down and thrown away.

why was she making him feel like this?

like he should be... good.

"sorry, my flat is a bit messy." he didn't even realise that he'd followed her to her door, calmly watching as she reached her keys out and fiddled with them to find the right one.

focused on his breathing. tamed it. tamed his thoughts, his heart.

the click of the lock and the door pushing open had taehyung returning back to reality. she lifted the door wide for his broad and tall frame to enter the doorway as she shut it behind him gently, locking it again and tossing her keys on a small indent in the wall.

eyeing the flat; smelt of old alcohol and dusty furniture. as if someone hadn't lived here in years.

the walls were a bleak cream, the open expanse
of the living room had furniture that didn't match and was absently placed randomly around the room, like she couldn't make her mind up on where she wanted it to be. he looked sideways through an opening in the wall, a doorframe without a door, to find the kitchen was a pale blue colour in tiles with shocking red counters and a large, white fridge.

unique.

he couldn't stop the smile, genuine smile, that erupted around his face. it was almost uncomfortable, how he hadn't smiled like this in so long. but the pure individuality of the flat made something in his heart tremor.

"i like it." he mumbled, looking over to find two doors leading out of the living room. a bedroom and a bathroom; he guessed.

there was a large window showing the busy streets of daegu and despite how polluted and grey the city was, it looked aesthetically beautiful through the window with the long, yellow curtains outlining the sides.

"how long have you lived here?" taehyung asked, turning to find her observing his reaction by the door, as if nervous he'd burst out laughing.

she gingerly moved towards the kitchen, pointing to the chair in a polite gesture for taehyung to sit down. "a few years."

it was so different to his modern, clean, black and grey and white apartment which was huge with extravagant furniture in. somehow this place seemed more like home, and the odd smell from when he first walked in wrapped around him comfortingly as if he was in a home.

"i only drink coffee, sorry, i don't have any tea. would you prefer water?" she offered, peeking over and into the living room as taehyung slowly sat down on the strangely comfortable sofa.

"coffee's fine." he stated, as if in a daze. "you shouldn't drink only coffee, it's bad for you."

her cheeks swiftly changed from pale to a twinge of light pink as she flushed in embarrassment. she pursed her lips and hid back behind the wall, the sound of the kettle being put on was indication she was occupied. so taehyung smiled again.

and the strangest thought come to mind.

it was as if he'd come home from a hard day at work, his loving wife in the kitchen making them both a warm drink to fight the frosty air as they would sit and talk deep through the night.

the pure innocence of his thought made him jerk in surprise.

and as he watched her walk in with his cup of coffee between her cardigan paws of hands, his heart dropped as he realised something else.

he not only had the challenge of getting her not to commit suicide.

he also had the challenge of not falling in love with min ara.

as taehyung felt himself falling and if he did, he wasn't sure if he could climb back up.