SEVEN

"Father," Ndete stood at his left shoulder, but his attention was diverted.

The colony leader from Sahir stood together with his mate. They were discussing the newest trade routes between the two lands.

"Certainly it would be easier if there were a more easterly route," Sahir was agreeing, "but we are forced to avoid the mist marshes. Dark creatures travel within its boundaries. None that have gone in have come out again."

Ndete felt a cold finger trace a path up the back of her neck at his words. She remembered hearing tales of the mist marshes when she was smaller. She had always thought them to be nothing more than stories told to youngsters to keep them from flying off.

"Father," she tried again. "I must speak with you."

He gave her an annoyed glance. "In a moment, Ndete."

"No, no, it's quite all right." The Sahiri leader lowered his head. "Perhaps the Quincess has had an inspiration on her future."

With a sinking stomach Ndete realized his voice had carried to all those nearby. They turned expectantly.

"Yes," a familiar voice called out. "I think you're right. What say you, Quincess? Have you a mate in mind?"

Ndete narrowed her eyes at Okmok, feeling the spines on her neck lift in her fury. He regarded them with raised brows, his face a mask of feigned ignorance and innocence.

"Yes," she said loudly, without moving her eyes from his. "I have."

There were gasps all around.

"Daughter?" Her father's voice rumbled, a mix of concern and hope.

She tore her eyes away from wretched Okmok and turned to face her father. She could only hope this plan would work.

"I have found a suitable mate."

The gasps spread outward, mingled with whispers that soon became a riot of noise. In the middle of it, her father's eyes locked on hers, creating a nucleus that was just the two of them.

Are you certain? His thoughts vibrated in her head. It's been but a handful of days. You have more than two moons yet to decide.

And I will use them, she answered him without speaking aloud. I will take that time to be sure I'm right, and if I am not... then I will let you choose for me.

She swallowed, her throat dry in spite of not having used her voice to say it. Her father studied her for a long moment. There was something soft and fathomless in his eyes. Finally he gave a nod, so small no one not looking for it would see.

His great dark head lifted.

"Rishiri," he called out.

There was a pause, and then footsteps as her mother approached.

"What is it, my mate?"

"Our daughter has found a suitor."

Her mother's eyes flashed to hers, startling her almost as much as the pronouncement. Ndete wondered at her father's term. What did it mean? And why was her mother looking at her with such scalding anger?

"Come," her father wrapped a large wing around her and pulled her closer to him. "speak well, Ndete. Tell us whom you have chosen."

Silence descended on the gathering.

Ndete took a deep, shuddering breath. She looked, and for one heart-stopping moment she could not find them, and then her eyes landed on two points of deep violet. She held his eyes with her own, trying to speak to him without talking as she'd done with her father, knowing it was something only those bound by blood could do, but hoping against all odds he could hear her anyway.

Trust me. Please.

"Fayal," her voice rang out, echoing across the meadow and over the river, "of the northern reaches."

There was a beat of absolute silence, and then an eruption of noise. Confused whispers and excited questions filled the air like a windstorm. Her father held up one great, black wing. Immediately the noise abated. He glanced down at her, and she could see the question on his face, but he did not voice it.

"Fayal, what say you?" His deep, bass voice rang easily over the last of the hushed talk still spilling through the crowd.

The people quieted as they waited for the response, as if holding their breath. Ndete found she was holding hers as well.

Everything hinged on this.

If he hadn't understood her silent message, it would all go awry. She would not get another chance.

There was a commotion.

The crowd shifted. Ndete watched as Fayal walked slowly toward them. Behind him, Kana had a wing wrapped around Xian, whose eyes looked like enormous blue saucers as she watched.

"I am Fayal," he called finally. "Son of Farallon, leader of the northern reaches." The lowering sun turned his eyes to sapphire pools. Slowly, he dipped his head. "I am honored to be chosen."

Her father inclined his head, looking pleased with the response. "And do you accept this choosing? Would you be suitor to my own daughter?"

Fayal met her father's gaze. "I do accept."

Relief blew through Ndete like a warm wind, sweeping away the tension that had gripped her. She let loose the breath she had been holding.

"I would request," Fayal continued, "that she be allowed to travel to my homeland for the courtship."

Ndete clamped her teeth down on her tongue to keep herself from gasping. How could he have known? She turned to see what her father would say.

He stood for a moment, clearly pondering the request as he searched the face of the dragon which before now he had never met. Finally, he nodded his head.

"If this is acceptable to Ndete."

He turned to her. She gave a small nod, unable to trust herself to speak.

"Then it is settled. For the duration of the allocai, you will attend the northern reaches with your chosen, at end time which you will return here to be mated."