THIRTEEN

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Fayal's eyes were a strange blend of happiness and concern.

He was happy that she was fulfilling a dream, yet worried for her safety. The humans had long been defeated, but they were cunning. Their minds were as sharp as talons, and their ambitions were far larger than their diminutive forms. It was for this reason that they had been hidden away, forced into reservations and allowed to live only within those confines. Strange, that the future of her kind might depend on those they had left in the past.

"Life is a circle," her father often said, "coming around to meet us again and again."

How true his words felt now.

"I'm sure." She looked into Fayal's violet eyes.

"Two weeks," he said, all traces of levity gone. "If you aren't back or we haven't heard from you by then, we'll send someone."

"Don't worry," she reassured. "I'll check in before then, I promise."

In spite of her lighthearted tone, her stomach was filled with a fluttering that was like the beating of a thousand wings.

He nodded. "Okay."

"Okay."

"Ndette..." His eyes dipped, and when they came back up they were filled with such intensity that she nearly backed up a step.

She opened her mouth to ask him what, but before she could his voice filled the silent air between them.

"I just want you to know, before you go in... I think you're very brave."

Warmth spread slowly through her. "Thank you, Fay—"

"Even if you had not chosen me, I would have asked."

The rest of her words drifted away on the morning air.

"It's true." He nodded, his face knitted into such a serious visage that it was endearing in a way she had never experienced. "The way you are with Xian... she loves you too, you know."

Ndette's heart thudded.

Too?

Did Fayal—

"I love you, Ndette." His fathomless blue eyes pulled her in. "Don't forget to come back."

She tipped her head to one side, studying his face. There was a raw, naked truth there. He was truly worried she might not ever come back. She felt exposed in a way that was new, and while it was a little painful, it was also beautiful beyond measure. He understood her desire, her need to follow this destiny, this dream, and in spite of his fear he was willing to stand beside her. To let her go in spite of the danger, because it was something that would make her happy.

There were no words to express the feelings that warred inside her.

"Opala, my father's sister will show you the way."

Ndette could only nod, still unable to speak. Her throat was clenched like a fist. If she tried to open it, she was afraid all that would come out would be a sob. One that was equal parts joy and sorrow.

Because he loved her.

And because she did not yet know if she loved him.

Part of her heart was not complete. It lived in the human form. Until she knew that part of her heart, she could not return the sentiments Fayal gave so freely.

She dipped her head, feeling the sting as tears tried to form in her eyes and were burned away. "Thank you." She mouthed the words instead of speaking them.

She turned away before he could say anything more, seeing Opala standing a ways off and hurrying in that direction.

She wanted to love him. She did. She hoped that once she knew this last piece of herself that it agreed with the rest, and allowed her heart to become one whole so that she could tell him.

Ndette and Fayal.

Fayal and Ndette.

It sounded good. It sounded right.

"This way," Opala said, waving a wing as Ndette drew closer.

She fell into step beside Farallon's sister, who immediately headed toward the perimeter. "I'll take you as far as the outer line. There are trees there that will make good cover while you shift. You can leave them from the other side. That will let you approach the humans from the opposite direction."

Ndette fought the urge to look back.

Another dragon approached them as they neared the inner perimeter.

"Opala." He dipped his head.

"Adwa," she acknowledged him with a nod. "The Quincess will be exiting on the western side. Make sure the scouts know."

"They have been told."

"Excellent."

Ndette remained silent. Her exuberance was curbed by the fact that she was leaving Fayal behind. She concentrated on breathing.

In and out.

In and out.

"Any unusual activity?"

"None."

Opala must be in charge of those keeping the perimeter. Her movements were crisp and her tone brisk and efficient.

"Good. Signal me if anything changes. I'm taking her to the outer line."

The other dragon fell away, hurrying off to relay her instruction.

She should be energized. Invigorated. Instead her body had gone numb on the inside, leaving her feeling as if this were some strange dream instead of the pinnacle of her journey.

"There."

She looked up to find they had already arrived at the trees.

"Wait until you are fully concealed to shift."

She nodded.

There was a moment of silence.

Opala tipped her head just a fraction. "Are you ready?"

Was she?

She had waited so long for this, and now it felt as if she were tearing herself in two. The image of Pina rose in her mind, laughing and rolling with her in the grass. There was no choice. It was not a matter of want, but a matter of need.

She took a deep breath, steeling herself.

She could do this.

For Pina.

For all of them.

She looked up into Opala's face. "I'm ready."