Chapter 1

Dear Ash,

I’ve read that when you’ve got a lot on your mind and it’s eating you alive that one way of working through it is to write about it. So that is what I am doing. I am writing about it to you. That seems to make the most sense really since it all seems to revolve around you anyway. I’m going to start from the beginning of it all, before we even met. It’s easier I guess.

It was a Tuesday when I landed at the airport in Sydney. The air conditioning was on really high so I wasn’t too warm in my leggings and jacket. The Sydney airport was full of people moving in all directions, it made me feel excited inside for some reason. I could easily tell the Aussie’s from the tourists because all of the tourists were burnt or had obnoxious tan lines.

I scanned the group of people and taxi drivers waiting for others for my aunt. She was holding up a sign with my name on it, I guess she didn’t trust herself to recognize me after all the years. I remember being so nervous since I’d only met her once before. Plus I wasn’t sure just how old she was and how ‘together’ she was.

Our eyes met and she smiled kindly, “Hello Lacey, my have you grown!” I hate when distant relatives say that. It’s just annoying.

“Hi Aunt Vilenna,” she pulled me into an awkward tight hug. “How are you?” I ask into her shoulder. She smelled like window cleaner and flowers.

“Oh I’m hanging in there. I’m obviously not doing too well since you’re here! How was the flight?”

“Long,” was all I could think to say. It’s almost a whole day’s flight from Ohio to here.

“Yeah I’ll bet, you must be exhausted.”

“Hungry mostly.”

After that we gathered my luggage, (much more than was necessary for a 3 month stay) and were on our way. She took me to a strange restaurant – I don’t remember the name. The chicken was good but the onion things on the side were just…Ew.

I never felt so relieved when we finally made it to her house, a small cottage style home with a big yard and flower garden, just outside of the city. It was peaceful here, quiet. Reminded me of home except way prettier than Ohio. The sun was beginning to set, it looked surreal over the distant silhouette of Sydney.

The next morning I woke up feeling so refreshed. I remember lying in the queen sized bed in the guest room with the cheesiest grin plastered on my face. Sure the only reason I was here in Australia was to help my aunt and her daughter but still, I was here. For a whole summer.

The thought of taking care of my aunt’s daughter, Ellen, flashed a negative vibe through me. When Ellen was my age, 17, she got into a really bad car accident and has been paralyzed ever since. Can’t talk, wheel chair bound… Anyway, My Aunt Vilenna is 64 now and had hurt her back recently so she couldn’t push Ellen around or help her with everything anymore so she’d called my grandma, her sister to see if me or any of my cousins could come and help for the summer till she could hire someone full time. Helping the physically disabled is not on my list of interests but a free trip to Australia plus I’d be getting paid? I was in.

I ran and took a quick shower. Even that was different, the water was…nicer somehow. Purer. The air conditioning was strong in Aunt Vilenna’s house too but I knew outside it was almost 100 degrees so I put on shorts and a crop top that had sunflowers on it. I wanted my first outfit in Australia to be cute.

“Good morning Lacey,” my aunt said as I walked into the kitchen. “I was just going to make some eggs and bacon.” It was weird to think that this woman grew up with my grandmother but since she moved to Australia and has lived there since she was 23 her accent is very strong.

“That sounds good,” I said politely, though I am not fond of bacon.

“First I need you to get Ellen up and dressed.” When I gave her a blank look she adds, “That’s right you start today. I’ll help you through it today but after that you’ll be fine on your own.”

For being sisters, she and my grandma are quite different. Where my grandma is sweet and soft spoken, Aunt Vilenna is to the point and rough around the edges. She isn’t rude exactly but she seems to come off that way.

“Um, okay,” I stuttered, suddenly nervous. I’d never even met Ellen, I didn’t even know what she looked like.

I followed my aunt down the hall, past my guest room and to Ellen’s room. “You just knock lightly twice to let her know you’re coming in so you don’t startle her. Obviously she won’t respond.” I took her penetrating stare as a sign and tapped gently on the door twice then opened it.

The room smelled stale, like a basement that nobody ever goes into. I guess that’s just how her room would be since she is only in it to sleep and aside from that doesn’t do anything. Never uses candles, perfumes, lotions, never has the window open for fresh air.

Aunt Vilenna flicked on the light and in nearly monotone voice said, “Ellen, time to wake up.” Granted Ellen is a middle aged woman by now but still.

Ellen’s eyes opened instantly and she turned her head to look at me, probably thinking “who the hell is that.” I smiled back awkwardly.

“This is your cousin Lacey. She’s from America and she’s going to help take care of you for the summer.” She just kept staring at me. I wasn’t sure how much she was capable of, all I knew was that she couldn’t walk or talk. Clearly she could blink and breathe on her own and turn her head, that’s all I had so far. “Alright so you’re going to put your arm under her back like this,” she said as she pushed her right arm under Ellen’s back between her shoulders, “And sit her up.”

She continued to go through all of the motions for getting her dressed and brushing her hair and everything, I’ll spare you those details though. It was strange doing that with someone my mom’s age. I think I would’ve found it less awkward if it had been a kid.

An hour later I was pushing Ellen down the hall and into her own little spot at the dining table.

“So do you have plans for today?” Aunt Vilenna asked me as we started eating. I had to eat and feed Ellen at the same time.

“Um, well I was thinking about going into the city, do a little sightseeing if that was okay?” I wasn’t sure how much free time I was going to be given.

“Yeah that’s fine. I’ll just need you back here at 4 pm, I have a banquet I’m going to and I’ll need you to stay here with Ellen.”

I held up another strip of bacon to Ellen and she shook her head no telling me she was done. So she can nod her head as well. “That’s fine,” I respond to Aunt Vilenna.

After we cleaned up breakfast and I pushed Ellen into the family room where the TV had Nickelodeon (her favorite channel apparently) on, I ran to my room to put on some sandals and grab my bag, my earlier excitement coming back.

“Here’s some money,” Aunt Vilenna said while handing me $100 worth of Aussie money. Apparently her version and my version of “some money” are different, I was expecting a 20. “Be safe, don’t go down dark side streets, stay where its busier…” She sounded strange, like she wasn’t quite sure how to parent since she hasn’t needed to for so long. “There’s a motor bike in the garage you can use.”

“I’ll be careful, thanks.” I stepped out into the hot air, ready for an adventure.

This is the day I first saw you.