Chapter 23

The weather was lousy the next day. A lot of rain and thunderstorms. So we didn’t go on a walk, instead we watched Cinderella and ate popcorn. I was so anxious to see you again that I checked the time on my phone nearly every five minutes. When the movie ended it was still only 10:30.

“Sooo,” I said to Ellen, trying to sound casual. “Ashton works at the hospital and he said there’s a place for people to hang out and stuff.” I really didn’t know how to explain this to her without hurting her feelings. I couldn’t just say ‘people like you’. She gave me a weird look like she wasn’t understanding me. “I don’t know it sounds cool, do you want to go meet new people?”

She frowned at me as if to say, “Are you crazy?”

“Oh come on, you don’t socialize enough. Who knows it might be fun.”

Now she cocked her head to the side and raised her eyebrows at me.

“I’m not just going because Ashton will be there! I really think you should go!” Her expression didn’t change. “Okay fine, maybe I’m mainly wanting to go because of him but I do think you should go. And if you don’t like it you don’t have to go ever again.” She considered it. “I’ll paint your nails and do your hair extra cute? And you can wear a new outfit?” At that she smiled.

I pushed her into my room and in front of the big mirror like I did every day. I changed her shirt to a new mint green tank top and put on her new sparkly white flats. I braided her soft brown hair off to the side then tied it into a low bun and stuck one of her new headbands into her hair.

“Okay, what color?” I asked holding up all of the nail polishes I’d gotten her. I held them all up one at a time until she smiled at the shiny light pink.

I’d decided to do my nails as well but I couldn’t decide on what to wear. “Ellen, I need your help.” She gave me an ‘okay’ expression. I held up outfit after outfit but she wasn’t satisfied with any of them. Part of me wanted to wear a skirt for some reason but I didn’t know if it’d be weird to wear a skirt to the hospital. Finally I held up a short white lace one and she smiled. I paired it with a sheer light pink blouse and white sandals. By the time I finished it was time to go.

I had to call for a pay-ride bus to pick us up since Aunt V left yet again. Part of me wondered if she’d found a boyfriend or something and was off hooking up. Making sure to grab the box that had been delivered, Ellen and I were on our way. Me with a huge anticipating grin and her not looking so enthusiastic.

The rain was coming down hard when we pulled up in front of the hospital. Luckily there was a roof over the drop off section by the doors so we didn’t get wet. I set the box down on the cement and went to help Ellen out. As I was unlocking the tires to her wheelchair I heard someone running up behind me and turned to see you, soaking wet, running up to me. Once you got under the roof you shook your head to knock some of the water off and your wet curls bounced around.

“Good timing, I just got here too,” you said before pulling me in for a quick kiss. A much too quick kiss. “Why’d you ride in that?” you asked, pointing to the bus that was pulling away.

“Aunt V took the car and I thought it would be much easier than trying to take my moped.”

“Okay smart ass. You could have just called me you know.” You had a playful smirk and were standing much closer to me than people typically do while having a conversation. I could have stood up on my tippy toes and closed the short 5 inch distance between our mouths. And I did. This time I made it liner a little longer and was glad when you didn’t pull away.

“I know but I don’t want you to have to keep going to get me all the time. It’s out of your way anyway.”

You rolled your eyes, “Don’t be so difficult, just call me next time okay? And I’m taking you home tonight.”