Home

it was 1916 just before the battle of the Somme, I was at Home, preparing to go to the war, I thought I was just going to go to kill some Germans with my mates and have a good time.

When I was walking up to the registration point with my friends, I was so excited to be part of the army that will save the United States from the German Scum. we were all 14 or 15 so we had to lie about our age to get in, my father also went to war himself, however, he got shot in the shoulder and bled out, I guess he was just unlucky.

shortly after it was time to leave so we could get to the camp, my mother was sorting out my uniform so I at least looked smarter, she pinned a  red paper poppy with a small bullet sized hole on my lapel, I felt a bit of a shiver but I got over it in a moment. When we got onto the truck to head over to the camp, I was separate to all my friends, because they got on different trucks to go to a separate part of the camp, so I decided to make a few new friends in the current truck everyone was happy and excited except this veteran in the corner on the truck, he looked completely horrified that he was going back to war, I couldn't understand why at the time.

when we got to the camp we went over to the canteen and got some kind of vegetable soup it wasn't that nice, we also got some little bits of candy to keep in our pockets, next we were told where we would be positioned and began to head out to the war.