Shock

When we heard that the Germans knew we were here we sent men named sappers who planted mines in the now "no man's land", some snipers were set up to look out and shoot to kill we also had artillery set up behind the nearby trees.

We were ready, loading our rifles and fixing our bayonets, waiting in anticipation, there was complete silence apart from the occasional bellowing gunshot from a sniper, we stood there waiting for the ear-piercing noise of the whistle to echo through the trenches.

Eventually, the order to charge was given, so the officer blew his whistle, we all screamed our battle cries, as we ran through the no mans land to face our enemy with no mercy.

however it did not go as we hoped, machine guns thinned our numbers as easily as a cat catching a dead mouse, snipers slaughtered us before we could even get out of the trench, I saw the people I knew slowly die in front of me and I was powerless, all of our medics were butchered and if we tried to run away the officer would shoot us.

 I managed to survive however I was stuck in a crater made by artillery, I decided to get up and run but ended up getting shot in the leg and crippled, barely alive, I managed to painfully drag myself over to the trench, however there were not enough medics to treat me, so instead one of the soldiers helped me, im pretty sure he was glad he got assigned to this, because everyone was more than reluctant to go over, the next wave of soldiers was thrown to the wolves as did the next and the next.