CHAPTER 23

We all gradually started making our way to our first class which was potions. I had finally calmed down, except it was still evident around my eyes that I had been crying. The time was 8:15 AM, we had missed the first fifteen minutes of the lesson so we hurried through the corridors to the potions classroom.

We all practically fell through the door as we barged in and it took all of me to not burst out into a fit of laughter at the look on Professor Snape's face. After mumbling an apology, we all went and sat in our places. Luckily today Hermione's usual partner wasn't in as she'd fallen ill, so I went and sat down next to her.

"Miss Ravenwood, I seem to remember that your partner is Malfoy, not Granger. So if you don't mind please move before you waste any more of my time." Reluctantly I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder as I walked over to Draco who sat alone at the back of the classroom. His eyes never left me as I walked over to him, all evidence of happiness now wiped from my face. I awkwardly sat down next to him as he moved over to make more space for me. Taking my books out of my bag, I quickly turned to the correct page and got out some parchment, a quill and some ink.

Professor Snape returned to teaching the class about some sort of potion, while I sat there propping my head upon my hand as I gazed out of the window absentmindedly. But a piece of fluttering parchment in the air caught my attention as it gradually floated over to me before landing on my desk. Slowly I unfolded the piece of parchment to reveal a party invitation from a girl in Gryffindor, I looked up to see the girl looking at me over her shoulder as she gave me a sympathetic smile.

'Place: Gryffindor Common Room
Time: 9:30pm
Attire: Casual/Formal
Eloise Midgen x '

I sat there for a few moments wondering whether I should go to the party or not. After all, Gryffindors and Slytherins have always had bad blood, but when I saw Draco clench his jaw when he read the piece of paper on the table; I immediately scribbled my reply on the piece of parchment.

'I'll be there. Rose x'

I folded it up and flicked my wand sending it across the classroom and back to Eloise. As I looked around the classroom I could see that Harry, Ron and Hermione had also got an invite. Soon the bell rang to signal the end of class so I quickly packed up my things and made for the classroom door. The majority of us now had a free period and usually I would go into the great hall and do some homework but after what had happened this morning, I wanted to avoid it as much as possible.

I was now in the corridor surrounded by swarms of students, I looked around for a familiar face but as I turned around I saw Draco making his way over to me, pushing his way through the other students. Quickly I turned around and began to walk away from him but he managed to grab my hand and turn me around.

"I need to talk to you." He said a sense of urgency in his tone. I looked at him blankly as I examined the bruises and cuts on his face. A pang of guilt in my chest.

"Rose? Rose, there you are, we're planning on going down to visit Hagrid, do you want to come?" I turned back around to see Hermione standing there with Harry and Ron behind her. As soon as Draco saw Harry he released his grip on my hand and let me go.

"I'm sure it can wait, Malfoy," I said plainly back to Draco, a look of hurt spreading across his face as I walked over to Hermione, Ron and Harry before we began to make our way down the corridor.

Soon we were outside and making our way over the covered wooden bridge. The gentle breeze brushed its way through my hair as I walked behind the trio which walked ahead. I looked over at the long drop beneath the bridge, the bottom wasn't visible as it was covered by the thick mist which hung eerily. Slowly I breathed in the fresh air closing my eyes, as the wind picked up around me and at that moment I felt as if I could take off from the ground.