CHAPTER 28

The next day I spent the majority of my time trying to take my mind off my discovery yesterday. I sat there trying to work my way through all my class work which I had been sent, many were essays on various different topics and subjects. Eventually I gave up at about midday, so I slowly walked downstairs into the living room rubbing my head and yawning.

"Are you alright Rose? Come take a break you've nearly been at it all day. I'll make you a hot chocolate and we can sit by the fire." My Aunt said as she walked into the kitchen, filling a saucepan with milk before placing it on the stove to warm through.

Walking into the living room, I sat down in a comfy armchair in front of the roaring fire. This was the chair I used to curl up in when I was little when I couldn't sleep on Christmas Eve because of excitement and anticipation; the warm fire caused me to go drowsy until eventually I would fall asleep and my aunt would take me to bed. Although the worst of winter had passed and we were now towards the end of January, frosts and cold winds still made outside look like a winter wonderland out of a children's illustrated book. A few moments later my Aunt reappeared with two mugs of hot chocolate, both topped with whipped cream and marshmallows.

"Thank you," I said as I picked off one of the fluffy marshmallows and placed it in my mouth. We both sat there drinking our drinks looking at the fire as it danced and crackled in front of us. It felt like I was sat with a complete stranger. It made me realise just how little I actually knew about my Aunt, she'd always focused on my parents and never told me anything about what her childhood was like or how she knew my parents. I looked at her, a distant mourning look was on her face as she stared unblinkingly into the fire.

"Aunt I've never really asked this before... But what was your childhood like, how did you know my parents?" I asked with a sort of uncertainty in my voice as my Aunt flickered out of her deep thoughts.

"It's completely fine if you don't want to tell me. I guess I'm just letting my curiosity get the better of me." I quickly said as she turned to look at me, a small yet weak smile on her face.

"No no no, don't be silly... I guess I never really told you because I didn't think you were old enough to understand. But you're old enough now. What do you want to know?" She asked as she shifted in her chair to face me, I brought my knees up under my chin and placed my mug with the remaining hot chocolate on top of them as I thought of a question to ask.

"Well, I just want to know what your childhood was like and things about you, I don't know... Just tell me anything." I replied as I watched her tuck a piece of her dark hair behind her ear, clearing her throat before beginning.

"Well I was born and raised in Conway, my mother, my father and I lived in a large house outside of the town walls. We were a happy family, my mother was a muggle so it was rather a shock for her when she found out that my father was a wizard. Apparently, when he first told her she burst out laughing and couldn't take him seriously. Anyway, I knew your parents from a young age, they used to come and look after me when I was a little girl. You probably know now how they were adults when I was only a little girl, with Ravearians only aging up until they reach the age of about twenty to twenty-three. I think the first time I met your parents your mother was actually eighty-four even though she still looked about twenty. It was very confusing I can tell you that, as I grew up I would watch my parents age but your parents always stayed the same never growing a day older. When I was about seventeen that's when my parents decided to tell me about your parents and what they were and I was honestly amazed. I thought they were the most fascinating and magnificent people I had ever met. We stayed good friends to the point where when I was twenty your mother thought of me as a sister, hence why she said I could be your Aunt even though your mother didn't have any extended family. It was when I was twenty-five that the war broke out when The Dark Lord rose to power, some of those days were the darkest of my life. Not knowing whether we were safe or not. You see with my family being close to your parents it also made us a target. Every night we would go into the town where we were safe within the town walls which were enchanted to make sure that all the civilians were safe from any dark creatures. But one night me, my mother and my father were late leaving the house and whilst we were in there, a swarm of death eaters came and set our house alight. I remember the panic we were all sent into as sparks and flames surrounded us, of course, my parents put my safety first and ushered me out of the house as quickly as possible. But as I ran out of the house I could hear the screams of my parents as the death eaters flew through, setting fire to and breaking everything in their path. Flashes of green light lit up the house as spells flew out of my father's wand in self-defence. I remember standing there screaming as a Death Eater grabbed me, while Bellatrix Lestrange danced out of my house with my parent's dead bodies floating in midair. She stood there cackling as she watched me get taken away by the Death Eater. The only thing I can really remember after that is being locked in a darkened room with nothing to eat or drink. I was tied to a chair and all I could feel was pain all over my body. I stayed in darkness for days, in and out of consciousness until your parents came. They saved my life and for that, I'm forever in their debt. For that, I promised them I would protect you until the day I died." She said as she stared into the fire. Her eyes were unblinking and glazed over with tears.

I cannot wait to do the next few chapters as I have so many ideas in my head 😆 Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter, if so please vote and comment.
-Chloe x