CHAPTER 31

I clutched at the wound on my arm as my large brown wings carried me to safety. My sight started to blur slightly as I began to lose more blood. Eventually, I burst through the dark clouds, the sun was rising slowly in the sky sending orange rays over the familiar turrets of Hogwarts as it came into view across the lake. I had lost count of how many hours I had been flying for but from what I could tell, I had flown all through the night. Suddenly my eyes closed as I felt my heart rate drop quickly while I tried to fight in and out of consciousness, my wings beginning to falter in their flying.

I was losing height drastically as I fought to stay awake, but without warning my body shut down. My wings falling limp at my sides, as my body fell from the sky towards the forbidden forest below. Eventually, I stopped fighting. I had no energy or strength left and my whole body ached with pain. My body broke through the canopy of the dense trees. Their branches cutting and ripping at my clothes and skin, before I crashed into the mossy ground; my body bursting into light before I was left in darkness and let out my last breath...

"Rose... Rose..." A comforting voice said through the thick grey fog.

"Hello?" I called out as I stood up a looked around at the empty surroundings.

"Rose..." The voice called again, I spun around to see three figures walking towards me in a line. I squinted as the light around them began to get brighter as they got closer to me. Suddenly wings were visible on two of the figures. My heart stopped as their faces because visible. I let out a sharp breath as I ran up to them and flung my arms around them.

"Mum, dad!" I sighed as their arms enclosed around me. Tears of happiness fell down my cheeks as my mum brought her hand up to touch the side of my face.

"Rose you've turned into such a beautiful young woman." She said as she gazed at me, my eyes were fixated on her massive white wings which matched my dads. They too wore clothes which were made of feathers similar to their wings. I turned my head to see my Aunt standing there a smile on her face while her cheeks glistened with tears. Slowly I made my way over to her, we stood looking at each other as she examined my wings and horns.

"I thought I'd never see the day." She said as she ran her fingers over my brown feathers, her hand shaking slightly.

"You're truly magnificent." She said as we hugged.

"Are you real?" I asked as I continued to look around at the strange surroundings.

"We're very real Rose... But you can't stay. They need you. Your friends will miss you." My dad said as he reached his hand out to touch mine.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"It's time for us to go Rose, but just remember we're never really gone; you take us with you wherever you go. Just because you can't see or hear us doesn't mean we're not there. Goodbye Rose, we love you so much, make us proud..." He said as all three of their bodies gradually disappeared like wispy clouds of white smoke.

"Mum? Dad?!" I started screaming as I stood there alone in the empty white landscape. Slowly the light began to fade as I continued to shout for my parents and Aunt. Muffled voices travelled through the darkness of which I now stood in.

"Come on Rose! Breathe!" A familiar voice shouted as my eyes flickered open and sucked in a deep breath, gasping for air. Immediately I sat upright and starting coughing as I tried to get my breathing back to normal. I looked around confused as I saw Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall and a centaur stood around me.

"Thank you for alerting us, Firenze." Professor McGonagall said to the centaur as he bowed his head and glanced at me, giving me a small smile.

"How are you feeling Rose? We thought we'd lost you." Professor McGonagall asked me as she bent down next to me on the mossy ground of the forest floor. All I could manage in response was a small nod as I looked at their faces full of confusion.