Stormy Nights (K)

So I've been sitting on this for a while and I decided that I should probably finish it so here it is! Enjoy!

At the sound of thunder, Morgana immediately bolted awake. Her heart was racing and she was working up a sweat. Just as she evened out her breathing, a bolt of lighting flashed outside the bedroom window, startling her and almost making her jump out of her own skin. She glanced over to her sleeping husband then mumbled a curse under her breath, disappointed that the 'Great Morgana Le Fay' could be startled by some lightning.

She let out a sigh as she got out of bed, grabbed her robe, and decided to go get a glass of water. When Morgana walked into the kitchen, she didn't expect to find someone shuffling through the fridge.

"Abigail?" Morgana began, "What are you doing up?"

The young girl looked up to her adoptive mother, caught like a deer in the headlights. "I, uh...I couldn't sleep so I came to get a midnight snack."

"I see," Morgana replied, relieved that she wasn't the only one having trouble sleeping. "May I join you?" Abby nodded, smiling as she did so. Then she grabbed two glasses from the cupboard and the gallon of milk from the refrigerator before placing them on the kitchen island. 

"I don't know if Drake ate the last of the cookies..." Abby explained almost as an apology as she searched the pantry for the missing cookies. Morgana chuckled before coming up behind her, pulling a hidden pack of cookies from the top shelf.

"These are Maxim's favorite cookies," Morgana said in a lower voice. "Don't let him know I gave you these." Abby nodded eagerly, going to the kitchen island to pour the milk as Morgana grabbed a couple of plates for the cookies. 

"Thank you, Mama." 

Morgana smiled, taking a bite of her cookie. "You're welcome, dear." They sat in silence for moment, enjoying their cookies, until a particularly loud thunderclap caused both of them to jump in their seats.

"I hate thunderstorms..." Abby mumbled.

"As do I," Morgana admitted, letting out a sigh. Then realization dawned over her face, "Is that why you couldn't sleep?" Abby nodded, confirming her observation. Morgana then hummed in thought. "Maybe, if we're lucky, the storm will pass soon..."

Abby nodded in agreement, taking a sip of her milk. Suddenly, her face lit up, "Have you ever dipped a cookie in milk?"

"Excuse me?"

"It's something Drake told me," she then explained. "He said cookies taste better after you dipped them in milk."

"Really now?" Morgana said, quite surprised. Abby nodded happily.

"Would you like to try? I'll give you one of my cookies to practice..." Abigail handed the older sorceress one of her cookies. Morgana immediately dipped the cookie in the milk, not sure when to take it out, causing it to fall apart in her glass. "No, no, no, Mama," Abby giggled. "You dipped it for too long."

"Well, I didn't know, dear," Morgana chuckled in mild embarrassment, looking at the remains of her cookie. "Now what?"

"You can try again?" Abby suggested, handing her another cookie. 

"What are you two doing up?" Both Abby and Morgana looked towards the kitchen door to find Maxim standing there. Maxim rose an eyebrow, "And are those my cookies?"

"It seems the grizzly bear has discovered us eating his winter spoils," Morgana joked to Abby, standing up to clean up their mess.

"Abigail, sweetheart," Maxim continued, "you have school in the morning. You need to be in bed."

Abby sighed as she got up to leave, "Yes, Papa..."

As soon as Abby was out of the kitchen, Maxim sauntered over to his lovely wife, who was cleaning the dishes she used. He laced his arms around her waist, leaning forward to rest his chin on her shoulder.

"And what..." He pressed his lips to her pulse, "...is my beautiful lioness doing out of bed?"

Morgana finished up the dishes before turning around in his arms to face him. "I couldn't sleep."

"Oh?" Maxim asked, suddenly worried. "Why, love?" Embarrassed of the actual reason, Morgana simply pulled herself from Maxim's comforting arms, walking over to the table to wipe it.

"I just couldn't sleep."

Not buying it, Maxim began in a sterner voice, "Morgana, I know that there's something else. Why couldn't y--" Suddenly, another loud thunder clap boomed throughout the penthouse, startling the sorceress. Maxim then gave her an understanding smile, "Oh, sweet dove..."

"Oh, don't act like you understand what's happening," she huffed. 

Maxim wrapped his arms around her again, kissing the tip of her nose. "I should've known it was the storm that woke you up. You never were particularly fond of them."

"Who is?" Morgana mumbled against his chest as he hugged her tight.

Maxim chuckled then kissed her temple, "I suppose you're right." After a few moments of silence, Maxim looked down at his beautiful wife, soothingly rubbing her back. "Let's go to bed, love."

Morgana nodded, following him back into the bedroom. As she got into bed and cuddled against him, Maxim gave her a tender kiss. "I love you, darling," he said softly, stroking her lovely red hair.

"I love you too, dear," Morgana replied, smiling as he wrapped his arms around her, knowing that she would be safe in his arms.