Maxana Challenge: Present (T)

He was shocked.

No. That was an understatement. He was downright mortified.

Was she mad? It was almost as if she took a blade to his chest and twisted the bloody dagger. How could she do this to him?

"Darling? Maxim, are you alright?"

He heard her voice echo in the back of his mind but it also felt so distant. All he could do was stare at the horrific crime his wife had just committed right before his eyes.

"Maxim? Maxim! Oh, snap out of it! It's just hair."

Maxim looked at Morgana, down to the floor that was littered in fiery red strands, then back at her.

"Just... hair?"

"Yes," Morgana replied matter-of-factly, brushing the subject of the current conversation behind her ear. Her once long, nymph-like hair that streamed down her shoulders to her ankles in soft ringlets now stopped abruptly at her lower back.

Maxim couldn't seem to get his emotions straight so all he could muster at the moment was, "How could you do this?"

"Excuse me?"

"Your hair... it's gone now," he told her. "Your long, beautiful hair, sweetheart..."

"Yes, I know. I cut it," Morgana stated, sounding annoyed. "We've already discussed this and we'd agreed that cutting to my back was fine."

"I thought you were joking!"

"Well, I wasn't." Morgana turned back to the bathroom mirror to admire her new hairstyle and to finish trimming the ends. "Besides, I've already cut it, dear. The deed is done. It will grow back eventually..."

"Not to the same length!" argued Maxim. "It will never be same as it was before!"

"So what? It's hair. You didn't see me throwing a fit when I saw that your hair was cut." She turned to scowl at him, "And you knew how much I loved running my fingers through your hair."

"That's different! That was out of necessity!"

"This is out of necessity!" she argued. "I'm tired of tripping over my damn hair! I'm tired of it being all over the place when it's not tied up! It gets in everything! I've had everything from Drake's guitar picks to candy to even that mutt that David calls a pet's food in my hair and that smell doesn't come out easily."

Then she sighed, "Not to mention brushing, and combing, and washing, and conditioning, and detangling, and moisturizing, and styling this beast. I'm simply tired of it, love."

Maxim let out a sigh as well. "I'm sorry, kitten. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I had no right."

"No," Morgana replied. "You don't need to apologize. You were upset about me cutting my hair."

"That's the thing, love. It's your hair. And you have the right to do as you please with it. So I'm apologizing for getting upset about that."

"Alright," Morgana nodded.

The bathroom fell silent for a moment. Then Morgana grinned. "At least I didn't cut it shorter, right?"

Maxim caved and chuckled in response. "Are you trying to give a heart attack?"

"I'm only saying that I could have been using your razor and shaved the whole thing off." She added jokingly. Then she took hold of his tie and pulled him closer to her. "I understand why you were upset, Maxim. You loved my hair. All of it. And I know that I would've gotten upset if my grizzly bear decided to shave off all his fur..."

"It was one time, Morgana..."

"One time too many," Morgana stated. "It made you look like a hairless rodent."

"That isn't very nice."

"We'll say a cute one then."

"Har-de-har," Maxim replied dryly. "Trust me, I won't be doing that again..."

"Thank the Gods," Morgana teased. The couple shared the moment laughing before sobering up once more.

"Morgana?" Maxim began.

"Hmm, darling?"

"Can you promise me one thing?"

"What, love?"

"Please don't cut your hair any shorter than this," he pleaded. "My heart wouldn't be able to take it."

Morgana laughed, taking his hand and guiding it to her hair so he can run it through his fingers. "Yes, darling. I won't cut it any shorter. You don't have anything to worry about. Either way, I'm still the Morgana Le Fay you still love just with shorter hair."

Maxim smiled, leaning in to give her a kiss. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"You're welcome, love." Morgana then ran her fingers through his hair. "Just don't think about cutting your hair again or I'll geld you myself."

Hoping that she was joking, Maxim laughed. "Whatever you say, my sweet lioness. Whatever you say."
—————
Challenge Prompt #40: Hair