Chapter Twenty-Nine:

Katniss

"Welcome to Squad 451," Boggs, the commander of my squad, said as he explained the rules and expectations of being accepted to a squad. It was early in the morning, too early. Camellia hadn't even been awake when I'd left.

"More like welcome to the 76th Hunger Games," Finnick whispered to me. I gulped and nodded.

Finnick had, somehow, been assigned to the same squad as me along with Gale. I'd been thankful to see so many familiar faces, but also skeptical that this was going to be a real squad in real action as my film team had also joined us.

"We will arrive in the capitol tonight where your bags will be searched. I hope you all packed lightly as we will not hesitate to throw out unnecessary items," Boggs told us all. "If you make any upsets about this or any of my future rules I will ship you back to District Thirteen, I will not hesitate. This is a war and it is not to be taken lightly. Do all of you understand?"

We all nodded and watched as Boggs left, most likely to go speak to the person flying the aircraft. My squad introduced each other.

I already knew Gale, Finnick, Cressida, Messalla, Castor, and Pollux but there were several other members on my crew.

There were a pair of sisters who were nearly identical which I nicknamed Leeg 1 and Leeg 2. Bogg's second in command was a strict looking woman who went by her last name, Jackson. There was also an older guy named Mitchell and a middle-ages man named Holmes.

The introductions were brief and the rest of the hovercraft ride was silent.

-

Leeg 1 stood, gee mouth open in horror to just witnessing her sister's death. "No! No!"

She started to run towards her sister's dead body before she was stopped and contained by Boggs. Leeg 1's face was filled with tears.

"No, there could be another pod!" he yelled gravely as his grip on her tightened. She eventually gave up and just sobbed.

Boggs helped her towards her tent. Once she was in her tent he started speaking to his commicuff. After a while he returned back to us. "Her replacement will be here soon."

None of us spoke except for a few basic words, the horror still fresh in our minds. That could've very easily been any of us. That could've been Finnick, leaving Annie without a husband. That could've been me, leaving Camellia without a mother.

The following night a rebel truck pulled into our camp, carrying our replacement. Two soldiers emerged from the front of the car and headed towards the back door of the truck.

Part of me was hoping for Johanna, that maybe they'd reconsidered and allowed her to take another exam. That somehow she's been assigned to our squad. But I was wrong.

Peeta walked out of the back of the truck and I stared in horror. He wouldn't meet my eyes and before he could reach me I grabbed my bow and arrow and started to run towards the outskirts of our camp, far enough way so I couldn't hear them but close enough that Boggs wouldn't yell at me for fleeing.

I started shooting at the pink candy colored windows that littered the capitol. Soon after Finnick silently joined me, shooting at them with his gun.

"You should probably go back to camp," Finnick said as I shot at another window, the whole thing caving in on itself.

I shook my head, anger boiling beneath me. "No."

I couldn't quite place my anger, I wasn't even sure why I was upset. Was it because I knew Peeta was not stable enough to be out here in this war zone? Was I afraid that he'd break down and hurt me again? Or was I mad at Coin for sending him out here, surely she had a call in the decision. Or was I mad at him for another reason?