Chapter 1: Friendly Competition

Walking to the training room two days before the Claiming Ceremony, it makes you think of a lot of things.

Like the werewolf world is an interesting place right now.

Women are starting to get more respect in certain parts of the territories, but some are trapped in the days of making women submit. Each continent is ruled by one Lycan Alpha, who is in charge of the packs in the continent's territory.

Each Lycan's Territory has different laws depending on the Lycan. Luckily, I live in the North American Pack. We are ruled by the most understanding Lycan, named Luca and he gives women in the pack the opportunity to stand up for themselves. I have heard the Alpha's of the European, Africa and Australian pack don't let the She-Wolves challenge the males' claim. So if the male wants you, you're his unless someone else challenges him. Men being stuck in the traditional ways are who I strive to fight in the Claiming Ceremony.

Breaking me out of my thoughts I feel my phone vibrate in my legging pocket. Unzipping the pocking I slip my phone out of pocket to see a picture of my best friend Meghan passed out on the lawn of her house after her 21st birthday with her heels in hand and her pink dress hiked up showing off her butt. I laugh to myself and slide the answer button putting the phone up to my ear, "That picture is still the best photo I have of you," laughing even harder.

I can just sense Meghan roll her eyes because I answer the phone with that response 86.7% of the time she calls.

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I hate you... Anyways! Wanna go shopping tonight to get outfits for tonight's bonfire? I saw this cute vest in Francesca's window the other day and - " I cut her off because if I don't she will ramble on about clothes options.

"I'm actually headed to the training center right now, and you should probably to with the Claiming Ceremony coming up in two days.." I instruct her like I'm her mother or something.

"The perk of being the Alpha's daughter is the natural strength, darling. I will be fine this year, just like all of the other years Charlotte." She insists mimicking a British accent. 

Let me explain the Claiming Ceremony, when a female turns 18 years old in our territory, you are up to be claimed.

The Claiming Ceremony happens once a year the first Saturday of May and the day before the ceremony we get tested on our strength. Strong Male paired with an as Strong Female will equal strong pups.

It's coming up on our third Claiming Ceremony, me being the Beta's Daughter and her the Alpha's, we have gotten a little competitive over it as well. We may have possibly made a bet, whoever gets claimed first owes the other $100 dollars and bragging rights for the rest of our life. It might not seem that bad, but losing to Meghan is the worst thing ever imaginable. She mainly relies on her rank and her wolves natural ability, while I being born with Beta blood fight for what they want. I'm not saying one is bad, but being the Beta you fight for your rank, while for the Alpha you're born into it.

"Just saying, I might get higher ranked then you again Miss Alpha," I tease. Our first year of the Claiming Ceremony, she was ranked a 7 while I was ranked a 6. As the years progressed, she only moved up one rank to 8, while I have been at a steady 9 for the last two years. I have been working my ass off to keep it or maybe move up to 10.  

 No Female Wolf has ever been close to being considered for a 10 rank, it's almost unheard of.

"Oh shush! Maybe I have been working in secret! Guess you will find out tomorrow Miss Beta!" She answers back.