6

"Hey mommy" An oddly familiar voice says.

I jolt my head up off of the surface supporting me and shake my head back and forth, but there's nothing here.

"Mommy, over here" I hear again this time, quieter than the last. They must be moving further away.

Something isn't right. I am not in my normal surroundings. I'm not propped up against a tree, I'm in a bed. A real mattress with an actual pillow.

"Hello?" I call out and no one answers.

I pull the red duvet off of me, letting the cooler air take over from the warmth of the blanket letting a harsh shiver pull down my spine. I wrap my arms tightly around my body and put my feet down on the dark hardwood floors.

The door is only a quarter of the way opened, probably how I heard the yelling in the first place. I pull it completely open and peek my head down the large, narrow hallway.

"Is anyone here?" I ask.

"Mommy, c'mon" The same voice replies. From my better angle, I can tell where the feminine voice is coming from.

I rush down the right side of the hall and stop at the top of a staircase.

Why does this look so familiar?

I can't figure out exactly how I know this place but I do.

A loud scream arose from the first floor of the building and I spend no time getting down the flight of stairs. My feet hit the floor harshly, sliding me back. I latch on the hand rail for support and run straight into the room ahead of me.

"Mommy there you are!" Two little girls run straight past me and I follow the sound of their dainty footprints.

The girls skip into another close by room. I halt my feet and my hand presses against my chest.

This can't be real.

The two girls wrap their arms around the taller - figured woman and their faces press against her leg, giving me a clear view of their faces.

The girl to the woman's right is the six year old version of me, and on the left is my sister. I could recognize her face anywhere.

Everything was becoming clear.

I woke up in my bedroom in my house. I ran down the stairs, into my living room and the woman standing between the two girls is her. My mom.

"Mama" I feel soft tears roll down my cheeks.

"There's my girls, you found me." She says in her gentle voice. One of my favorite things about her.

I look away from the girls and focus on what I could remember of her. Her dark hair similar to my own was pushed back into a tight bun like she always wore, and she was wearing her black work suit. Her smile was mesmerizing, and could make anyone feel special. Her eyes meet mine and I start sobbing.

"Mom" I breathe heavily. Everything around us goes pitch black for a second and she comes back.

This time we are in the basement of our house wearing her same attire as before.