PROLOGUE

____

____

'BRUTAL MURDER NEAR 24 ELM STREET. BODY PARTS FOUND DECOMPOSED IN A GARBAGE TIN.' Aurelia scrolled down the news article as she read about the latest murder that had occurred in the small town. The town had reached its tenth murder case this month yet the police still hadn't found any clues or suspect. The bloody spree had caused chaos amongst many town folks, threatening parents to guard their children with extra precaution and lockdowns to occur more frequently.

Aurelia's roommate had travelled back home for the Thanksgiving holidays, leaving her dorm vacant and empty from her absence. She was on her desk, researching on the latest articles about the murders that had occurred in their town when there was a sudden knock on her door, the sound resonating throughout the walls of her room.

Knock, knock, knock. The three, short interval knocks had interrupted her concentration, sending chills down her spine entirely. Goosebumps started to form on her skin. Who could be visiting her at this hour of the night?

She stilled for a moment before deciding to tiptoe her way to the door and check through the peephole. She held her breath, afraid that the person standing opposite her door would be alerted of her presence.

                "I know you're in there Aurelia," Everest stated in his deep voice while staring into the peephole, knowing that the girl would be eyeing him through it. He gave her an eerie grin. "Open up, I'm not going to bite you."

                Fuck. Aurelia moved away from the door abruptly, giving herself a few seconds of self-persuasion before she allowed him in. It was during times like these that Aurelia would curse the fact that Everest was the resident assistant.

                Why would anyone even appoint him as the RA? Did they not know that beneath the golden mask he hid behind lies a killer in disguise?

                Aurelia took a few calming breaths to prepare herself before she exposed herself to the devil himself. "Hey," she greeted him with a friendly smile to hide any hostile demeanour as she stepped back to allow him in. All the while, she watched him with a calculating gaze, afraid that the boy might impulsively attack her.

She never wanted her death to be by the hands of a liar.

"Hello," Everest greeted her back and continued to look at her intensely, as if he already knew what was going on in that smart brain of hers. "Are you okay, Aurelia?"

Aurelia tried to calm the erratic beating of her heart, needing to forget whatever impression she had on Everest as he was merely standing a few centimetres away from her.

Everest walked over to her bed, his boots stomping on the wooden floor noisily. The only sound present was his shoes and the silent heaves of breath. Everest accidentally took a glance at the article on Aurelia's laptop that was staring directly at his face. A devilish smirk appeared on his face.

"Word on the street said I'm the suspect," he announced amidst the deathly silence that had trampled upon the both of them. He turned to look at her, the cunning grin never faltering. "You're not afraid?"

"Should I be?"

He shrugged, a calm yet murderous look settling upon his face. "I don't know, you tell me. You've probably read enough about it to start coming up with your own theories," Everest raised his eyebrows, exchanging looks between her and the article on the computer. His pupils dilated as he casted his gaze back on Aurelia. "The police aren't always the smartest bunch to begin with, don't you agree baby?"

____