02

_____

_____

               AURELIA TURNED OFF the ignition and sat still on her seat, staring blankly at the road in front of her that seemed endless. The streetlights were dim, though it allowed drivers like her to roam around at night. Vast land surrounded the road, and not a single act of interaction could be seen.

Soft tunes blasted from the radio in low frequency. Aurelia's window was rolled down, and so she could hear the sounds of the cricket and other night animals engulfing the silence of the night. Her droopy, dead eyes contrasted her mind that was busy, constantly evaded with never-ending thoughts.

Tonight, was another one of those nights where she would toss and turn in her bed continuously, trying to fall asleep but to no avail. She missed mom and dad, but the gruesome memory of their bloodied and torn body was permanently and painfully engraved into her mind.

Those consecutive nightmares often led to several episodes of epilepsy. Aurelia frequently had to cradle her own head against her bedpost as silent tears gushed down her cheeks at midnight, the moonlight glow did nothing but provided her with justice for her pride and dignity.

And at this moment it was doing the same thing that it always has for her, for the only pair of eyes watching her across the barren land while her soul was stripped bare was the moon itself, just like all the other nights.

***

"Do you think we should go to the party?" Rosé asked, her reputable self-making an appearance once again.

The next day, the four girls found themselves in Rose and Faye's dorm room, lying amidst the vinyl CDs that were sprawled all over the floor while looking up onto the ceiling, not making any eye contact with one another.

"I say we go ahead with the plan," Faye answered.

Zahra wrinkled her forehead, detesting the whole idea of it. "Are you sure? It's a frat party. There's bound to be many obnoxious and pretentious brats."

Faye only rolled her eyes even though she knew none of them could see that little action of hers. "Live or die, Zahra. This is spontaneity at its finest. The world is already filled to the brim with them," Faye retorted. "Besides, I'm in dire need of a new hook-up."

Rose scrunched up her nose in distaste at her friend's outspokenness. "Connor's not enough for you?" Faye instantly gaped at her.

Throughout their argument, Aurelia remained necessarily quiet. On the normal occasion, she would tag along with them, but unfortunately, she still had to brainstorm a few ideas for a new upcoming film project her professor had assigned her team with. Her professor wanted them to get started as soon as possible, given that they only had a month to complete it.