03.

Geoff's body felt dizzy and numb after his encounter with Awsten. The way the younger boy's breath felt along his ear and neck make chills coat his body. That kid definitely had some charm, and it was slowly drawing him in himself, but Geoff didn't want Patty, Alex, or Jack to be disappointed in him.

That's the one thing Geoff hated to do: disappoint others. He had been a people pleaser for as long as he could remember, and it would stick with him for the rest of his life. He wanted to do anything to keep people happy. Maybe that's the reason things with his father happened.

His backpack was slung halfway over his shoulder as he slowly stumbled through the school's immense hallways. It was the end of the day, and all Geoff wanted to do was get back to his beat up Ford pickup and get home. He knew he'd be watching his little sister for the night, and he'd rather get a good nap in before that occurred.

"Gee!" An arm collapsed on Geoff's shoulders, startling him slightly before realizing it was only Patty. "Jack's having this really kick ass party tomorrow night, think you can get out of your house?" For the small amount of time Patty and Geoff had known each other, Geoff already told him about his mother and sister, and how he and his mother were their only source of income. But he left out the details of his father.

"I mean—I can try man, but no promises." Geoff smiled as Patty's face lit with glee. "I'll text you later man." Geoff bid Patty a goodbye and continued his walk down the agonizingly long hallway.

Finally, the double doors were in sight, and all of a sudden, a flash of pink and blue cane into Geoff's view, causing him to stop slightly.

"C'mon Geoff, I'm not that scary, am I?" Awsten's sardonic tone filled the now empty hallway. There he was again, lips around a lollipop as he stood halfway out of the double doors. His blue hair stood in contrast against the pink t-shirt he was wearing, along with the white fluorescent jacket. "I don't bite."

Geoff sighed shakily and hastily headed towards the door, holding it open for both him and the younger boy. "I highly doubt that last sentence." Geoff's dry humor was shining proudly, which he cursed because he did NOT want anything to do with this boy. At least he thought he didn't.

Awsten's face twisted into a small smirk as he pulled the lollipop from his lips with a pop, throwing the almost brand new stick into the garbage next to him. "Guess you'll have to find out, won't you?" He glanced over to watch as Geoff's cheeks burned a bright red, making Awsten giggle as he fished his keys from his backpack.

That. Fucking. Giggle, Geoff's mind was racing a million miles a second. This boy was going to kill him, and even he knew that! How was he supposed have nothing to do with this boy when he keeps luring Geoff back in? "I should—uh probably get going now." Geoff pulled his own keys from his jean pocket, turning before being stopped by Awsten's whining.

"You're leaving so soon?" When Geoff turned back towards the young boy, a little pout had found its way to Awsten's lips. His dual-toned eyes were wide with innocence, most likely a facade as far as Geoff could infer. "I like talking to you though."

"Oh—uh..." Geoff's hand rubbed the back of his neck, which was now hot with heat and frustration. "I have to go watch my little sister, and she probably is waiting so—"

Awsten pondered this, tossing the idea around inside of his head. "Will I see you around tomorrow?" He took a meek step towards Geoff, running a single finger down his jawline as a tentative smile exuded from his own lips.

Burning with heat, Geoff couldn't move his face from the boy's touch, not that he even wanted to. Awsten's touch was one that could bring even a tall, lanky boy like Geoff to his knees. "Well—I mean probably." His words sounded choked, and he stuttered slightly as he spoke.

Taking a step back, Awsten smiled as he spun on the heel of his converse, humming a song as he walked. "I'll see you later, Gee."

————

Geoff's house was silent and empty when he returned home. His mother and sister weren't home yet, which meant Geoff could do whatever he honestly wanted to at this point.

He hung his backpack on the hook near the door, sprawling out over the sofa and tilting his head back. Geoff let his tired eyes seal him into sleep as he slowly felt a dream manifest around him.

Darkness was all around him. He patted around the room for something, anything, to help lighten the place up, but he didn't find a single thing.

He didn't remember where he was, all he knew was that Daddy told him to come to his car, and he couldn't disappoint Daddy.

Geoff knew this wasn't a car. It was a lot colder than a car, and also a lot more spacious.

There was a flash of light near the top left corner of Geoff's vision, and he could see the outline of his father standing a top what seemed to be a staircase. The light was covered once again, but the lights above Geoff hummed to life and revealed his surroundings.

Toys, clothing, and blankets were strewn around the room. The walls and flooring were cold and black, seemingly unforgiving if Geoff accidentally slipped. There was a matching cold staircase, which his father was proudly standing on.

"Good morning pumpkin!" His father's warm voice radiated through the room, making it seem a lot less cold. "Daddy's got breakfast going, and then I'll bring it to you."

"Why can't I go up there Daddy?" Geoff asked innocently, standing to his feet and beginning to run to the steps. But a large force tugged him back, sending him to the floor on his bottom. He looked down and noticed black cuffs covering his small wrists, resembling a rope-like material. He tried again to escape, but he plopped back down to the floor. He did this for quite sometime until his father headed down the stairs and towards him.

"No no, Geoff, you can't do that baby. Daddy doesn't want you running away."

Light was all around him once more, and Geoff let out a scream before feeling a comforting hug encompass him. His eyes sprung to life, revealing the now lighted living room of his home.

Sobs echoed from his mother's mouth as she held her son in her arms, face pressed into his chest. "Geoff, baby, please wake up, it's only a dream."

His vocal chords felt strained. His chest felt like a popped balloon. His body felt drained and empty. "I–I'm awake." Geoff croaked out, his hands rubbing up and down his mother's back.

She sat up slowly, tears collecting near the bottom of her eyelids. "Thank God, are you alright?" She examined any bit of exposed flesh, checking for marks of self infliction.

"I'm good Mom, just forgot to take my pills, no worries." Geoff tried to make light of the situation, but there was no denying it to his mother. He watched as she hastily headed for the medicine cabinet located in the bathroom. She returned with two yellow and blue pill capsules, holding a glass of cold water along with them. Geoff downed the pills easily, but he still felt the anxiety from before coating him like a dirty film.

His mother glanced around the room before narrowing in on the wall clock, which now read 4:45. She sighed and pushed her arms through her work coat, grabbing her bag and anything else she needed for the long night ahead. "Amber's with Mama for the night. She said she didn't want to stay with you when you don't take your medicine." Without another exchange of words, Geoff watched his mother leave the house, leaving behind the knife that had stabbed through his heart.