Chapter Four

The next morning I wake up in a bed that was not my own. I looked around and it took me a moment to realize where I was and when I saw Rebecca asleep next to me, an indescribable feeling of joy conquered my body. I lay back down and look at the ceiling. Rebecca woke up a couple hours later and when she saw I was awake she put my hand in hers.

   "You want breakfast?" she asks.

   "Depends on what you're making." I say with the biggest smile on my face.

   She gets out of bed, using the blanket to cover herself. I get dressed and join her in the kitchen.

   "Pancakes, my kind of woman." I said while giving her a kiss on the cheek.

   She smiled and when she was done we sat on the couch and finished watching Shawshank Redemption. Again, if you were to tell me to stop staring at her, I couldn't...not even if my life depended on it. The reason I bring it up again is because when we were watching the movie she caught me staring.

   "Why are you always staring at me?" she asks, her cheeks turning red.

   "It's because your the reason I get up in the morning. Before you the only thing that kept me going was the chance of getting out of this town. You gave me hope."

   She kissed me and we finish the movie. I know what your thinking, a compelling love story. It was, but every relationship has its bumps in the road. As she gets up to put the DVD back in its case I ask.

   "Rebecca...you know you can trust me right?"

   "Yes." She smiles. "Why do you ask?"

   I go in for the kill, not holding back. "If you are in the witness protection program because that psycho family is after you, its alright because not even that can drive me away."

   She smiles, "I'm not in the witness protection program but the murders is one reason why we left. My parents are going to be home soon, you should go."

   I kiss her goodbye and left. I walk down her driveway and arrive at my house. When I open the door my sister yells "Ooooooh your in trouble!" and my parents are waiting for me at the top of the stairs.

   "Where were you?" my mom asked tiredly.

   "Rebecca's."

   "All night?" my dad asked harshly.

   "Did you..." My mom started. "Did you have sex?"

   "Yes." I said while looking away.

   "Did you use protection?" my mom asked.

   I looked away, "No."

   "Jesus Christ John! I swear if you get her pregnant..."

   I interrupted him. "I know, I know you'll beat the shit out of me."

   "John didn't you think about the fact that if you did get her knocked up you'd be sacrificing your life?"

   "What life?" I snapped. "I only leave this house to go to school, to Frank's with James and Jorah once in awhile and to the movies once a week. I have it covered, I already have a job and if I do knock her up I'll beg for more hours at the deli."

   The conversation was over and I went to my room. I turn on the TV and saw they recovered more bodies of missing kids in a lake not to far from the suspected familie's home. Again, there was something strangely familiar about that girl...Becky Larson. I dismiss it and do my homework which took me hours to do and I went to sleep early or at least, I tried to.