The usual suspects

CHAPTER 1

Shion whimsically gazed at the exquisite, luminous sunset that had been created by the dastardly debris of yesterday's massive explosion. He flung his frail arms to the sky and haughtily clenched both fists in pure victory, his nails submerging deep into the delicate palms of his hands to reassure himself he wasn't only dreaming. It had already been several hours since Nezumi and him had corrupted No. 6's famous correctional facility, recklessly ruptured No. 6 and all it was created of, not to mention the numerous deaths and near-death experiences they had witnessed...and even caused.

All feelings of success and eminence instantaneously disintegrated when a series of vivid flashbacks barreled through his disturbed mind. Shion gripped at his snow-white, knotted strands of hair and cried out in excruciating agony as he frantically tried to shove any trace of traumatizing memory or thought that dared to invade his brain, but it was too late. The flashbacks concaved into Shion, brutally forcing him to remember every sadistic detail that had happened yesterday night.

Shion batted his eyes vigorously, fighting the urge to let all of last night's tragic events effect him, but nevertheless, he fell to the ground in defeat. 

Images of Safu violated his mind. She was gently smiling at him, her cheeks a bright, lively red. His vivid flashbacks always started out this way. Seeing Safu's gleaming face brought Shion a friendly, reassuring sensation, but it always took a drastic turn into a calamity he never wanted to remember.

beep. beep. beep.

The sound of a time bomb infiltrated his ears. The calamity in his flashbacks started here, with a simple ticking of a bomb, exactly like the one he had heard last night, just before-

BOOM. 

He never had time to finish his train of thought before the very cheerful Safu exploded, fading into the murky smoke and scalding sparks that overwhelmed his mind.

Shion snapped out of it when he felt a gentle, warm hand approach his shoulder. 

"Shion", a familiar voice cooed into his ear. 

Shion looked up to see his mother compassionately gazing down upon him 

"It's time to come home," she chided, gently wiping away his unintentional tears. Shion was in awe. Dominant emotions hit him like a ton of bricks, and a lump formed in his throat, preventing him from speaking any words. Here was his mother, in the flesh, whom he hadn't seen for years, it had seemed. 

Shion's mom chuckled knowingly, since she was also resisting the urge to sob. She lent Shion her hand and affectionately pulled him in for a tight embrace. Together they returned to that cute little bakery around the corner, where Shion would tell her all about his adventures in the West District. His beautiful, unforgettable adventures with the love of his life, Nezumi.