Chapter 1

Central City is truly one of the most breathtaking cities you've seen in your life. What with its sleek and towering buildings and the clean and bustling streets. Without a doubt it puts your former, much smaller, home of Hazel City to shame. And although the past few days here have had you in an unpacking frenzy around your new apartment, you are now finally enjoying a few of the Central City sights before heading off to your new job.

You come across a very stylish cafe downtown called Jitters and decide to try out one of their coffees. A much needed coffee, at that. When the barista calls out your order at the pick up counter, you notice your name is actually spelled correctly on the cup. That never happens! Take that, Starbucks!

Mmm, the smell of a freshly made brew. Heavenly. You take your drink with you and head out the door, but when you go to take your first sip, a hasty, brutish stranger in a parka accidentally knocks into you and keeps going. A gasp leaves you and, starting to fall backwards, you brace yourself for the horrible mess, scalding burns, and total waste of money.

But it never comes. When you finally open your eyes, your can't help but stare...

The most gorgeous man you have ever laid eyes on is both holding you steady and your unspilled Jitters coffee. Fear and worry spread across his face. His beautiful face. The man's soft eyes search for your reaction, to see if you're alright.

"Are you okay?" he asks, voice thick with concern.

"I-I..." you stammer. "Yes, I'm fine. How could I ever thank you-"

"Oh no, no need to thank me, really," he says. "It was just good timing and good luck." Wow, you'd certainly say so!

"The best luck," you say breathlessly. His hand is still planted on your back. Your handsome saviour seems to only just notice this now too, because he takes it away and it shoots to his neck in embarrassment. He hands you back your coffee. You share a shy smile with him, shuffling your feet and finding it hard to meet his eyes. But in avoiding his, you spot the time off the clock tower from above.

"Oh no!"

"What is it?"

"I'm going to be late for my new job! I have to go!" You rush past him, but not before turning back and yelling, "Thank you, you're my hero!"

*

Ugh, thank goodness you made it in time. You had high tailed it to Central City Picture News from Jitters with only a minute to spare. Scott Evans, the paper's editor-in-chief, your new boss, welcomes you and notes your "precise" timing. He then makes a short announcement to the rest of the team, introducing you.

"Everyone, this is (Y/n), our new movie reviewer from Hazel City. Please make her feel at home here." The journalists give you a small, happy applause and go back to their work. Scott shows you to your new workspace and tells you to make yourself at home. He also says he'd like one of your reviews by midnight Wednesday, so you mentally file away that deadline under "To-Do."

Your desk is right across from a stunning darker skinned woman. (God, what was it with this city and its drop dead gorgeous citizens?).

"(Y/N), was it?" She leans across the desk to shake your hand. "It's so awesome to have you on our team. I'm Iris."

"Hi Iris. Wait, Iris West? You're the journalist who writes about that Flash guy, right?"

"That's me," she admits with a winning smile.

"I'm a big fan of your articles," you gush. "You have such a way with words."

"Hey, thanks. That means a lot. I can't wait to read one of your reviews. After all, Scott only hires the best."

"Ha ha, yeah, I guess that means I'll have to locate the theater around here."

"Why don't you let me show you around?" Iris offers. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Well, I was going to put on some sweatpants, curl up in bed, and watch Netflix..."

"Oh, honey, no," she laughs. "That won't do. You'll be coming with me." You smile at this newly forming friendship developing right now.

"And where might that be?"

"All in due time, (Y/N). All in due time."

*

After exchanging numbers with Iris at work, you plan to meet up with her at one of Central City's popular nightclubs. You dig out one of your so-called "party dresses" for the outing, a sexy black little number. You don't wear it often, but tonight feels like the night to flaunt it.

When you eventually locate the club in question, you find your new friend Iris waiting for you at the bar. She waves you over to join her.

"Hey! Glad you made it!" she greets you. "I hope you don't mind, but I invited some friends to join us." You tell Iris you don't mind at all, the more the merrier.

"Oh, here they come." She signals to her friends, a very tall woman and a man with long hair, walk up to you two. "(Y/n), this is Doctor Caitlin Snow and Cisco Ramon. You guys, this is (Y/n). She just moved here from Hazel City. She's our new movie reviewer at CCPN."

"Nice to meet you," you say, shaking hands with Caitlin first, then Cisco.

"Movie reviewer, huh?" says Cisco, sounding intrigued. "What's your fave?"

"Good question. Tough one, though," you admit. "But since I'm a sucker for time travel theories, I'm gonna have to go with Back to the Future."

"Classic."

"Totally."

Iris looks around the venue. "Where's Barry?" she asks.

"Oh, he's running a little late," Caitlin explains.

"Really? That's strange... Barry is usually extremely punctual."

"Something came up at work," Cisco pipes up. "He said he was just finishing up something." Just as Cisco ended his explanation, a guy in a sweater/blazer combination comes up behind him and gives hip a clap on the shoulder.

It's him.

Your hero.

"Sorry I'm late, I was just-" he stops mid-sentence when he sees you and he smiles the biggest, friendliest smile.

"Hey! We met earlier, kind of."

"Yes, hi! That's right, you totally saved me." Everyone glances around at each other.

"So you two have already met?" asks Caitlin.

"Well, we weren't properly introduced," you admit. "But that's mostly my bad. I kinda took off."

"No worries," says the guy. "My name's Barry." When you give him your name, Barry says, "Nice to officially meet you," you chuckle at that. Actually, you chuckle at many of the things he says that night. And not only because you've had a few drinks. Barry is such a sweet and funny guy and you are totally smitten. The pair of you visit at the bar while the others dance out on the floor. You learn that he's a forensic scientist for the Central City Police Department and is Iris' brother (sort of) and best friend. Small world!

You thank Barry again for catching you earlier. "It would not have been a pretty sight if you hadn't been there."

"It was nothing," he says, sounding possibly a little embarrassed. "Don't mention it."

Something you've come to realize about Barry so far tonight is that he seems to be a very genuine, nice guy. And honestly, you find it amusing when you catch him trying not to look like he's checking you out. It's cute. You also can't help but try and catch a few glimpses of him yourself.

"Hey, so, um," Barry starts. "Would it be too forward if I asked for your number? You know, if you ever wanted to do something sometime? I could always show you around-" You put your hand on his, which causes Barry to cease his adorable rambling.

"Of course you can have my number, Barry." You grab his hand. "But you have to dance with me first." Leading him out onto the crowded dance floor, you notice his seemingly ever-present smile is glowing like the sun itself. You think to yourself how awfully grateful you are for meeting this human ray of sunshine.