Chapter 3

"What's got you so down in the dumps?"

It didn't matter that you received a free coffee from Jitters this morning. Nor did you care that one of your co-workers brought in donuts for everyone. Or that Scott praised the Galaxy Plunders review you emailed him last night, calling it ingenious, funny, and clever. You were most certainly off your game today and Iris could sense something was up.

"It's... nothing."

"No, it's definitely something." Iris eyes you like she's a robot scanning for the source of a virus. "This wouldn't have to do with your date with Barry, would it?"

"No," you say unconvincingly. She gives you the eyebrow. "Okay, yes."

"What did he do now?"

"It's just, everything was going so well. The date was perfect. We totally had some moments. But then, at the end, when we were saying goodbye..."

"What? What did he do?"

"He ran off! It was like he was going to kiss me and then he bolted. It was beyond weird. I kept thinking there was something wrong with me."

"Oh sweetie, no. There's nothing wrong with you," she assures you. "Guys can be such guys, you know?" You nod. "I apologize for him. I could always talk-"

"No! I mean, thank you, but no. That's okay. I'll survive." You flash Iris a smile, but you don't think that it necessarily put her at ease.

*

Hey (Y/N). I'm so sorry again

for what happened the other

night. I hope you can forgive

me. Can I make it up to you?

You can't see it, but I'm

totally giving you the famous

Barry Allen sad puppy dog

eyes right now.

Lord help you because you didn't mean to laugh at the thought of Barry making that face. And true to his word, he did call you the day after the date gone awry, although you did let his call go to voicemail. You had no idea what to say to him, you didn't know what to do.

You still don't.

There's a knock at the door and you think it's probably Iris, seeing as she has been threatening to come over and cheer you up with pizza, chocolate, and good old fashioned girl talk.

But when you open the door, it isn't Iris standing on the other side, but Barry! He's holding a bouquet of flowers and is peeking out over them.

"I thought maybe it would be more effective if you actually saw the puppy dog eyes in person," he says, indeed looking like a poor, defenceless, and very sad dog. Truth be told, you are no match for his animated expression because it instinctively pulls at your heartstrings. Your hand touches your face and you laugh.

"Oh God, it worked. Get in here." Opening the door wider for Barry to come in, you take the brightly bloomed flowers from him and go look for a proper vase. Barry shuts the door and stands against your kitchen counter.

"Listen, (Y/N), I really do want to make it up to you. I feel horrible about taking off how I did. What do you say to dinner tomorrow night?" There are a couple silent beats, and after looking into his eyes once more, you can easily see he feels genuinely shitty. You make your decision (though you wonder if your mind had already subconsciously been made up).