Prologue

Shawn Price

New York was not working out, my mom was up to her shit again. For the last six months we fought and argued. Some days it would be about giving Marvella to Marlon while I get myself together. Usually it's just to fucking argue! Recently history repeated itself, we threw hands up at each other. After getting the cops called on me and being forced leave and spend the night at a bus terminal, I decided it was best to leave.

Begging Marlon for help, which if anybody knows him should know getting his damn help is not easy. But like always I had to beg and plead for him to take me in. The plan was to live as peaceful as possible, he go out and rent a two bedroom apartment. The rules were simple, no niggas, no alcohol, no drugs, no bullshit!

With everything I had left to my name, we took this step. Moving back to California I said bye to my mother, she didn't feel any bit of sadness. Best I could describe it as she didn't care. Which was fine because in my final moments all I wanted to see was my daughter.

"Morning scrub!" Marlon greeted as I walked into kitchen. He was munching on a bowl of Apple Jacks this bright and early morning.

"Damn I have a banger, where's the Advil?"

"Drinking again?"

"No, just woke up with a migraine."

"So that's what we doing now? Keeping secrets, I see you." He continued talking with a full mouth.

"Drinking would mean I had a relapse."

"That also must mean you restarted your sobriety day after day."

"You have no faith in my ass, ever!"

Marlon pulled a small bottle of Jose Cuervo from his jean pocket. "You don't have faith in yourself! I thought I try a different approach since you always say I'm mean. But that's my fault thinking you was woman enough to tell me the truth."

"I've only been nursing it, bottle isn't even half gone yet."

"Look you wino, don't have this shit around my daughter!"

"I haven't been drinking around her."

"I don't give a fuck, you shouldn't be drinking at all!"

"I've gotten better!"

"You haven't changed at all! What happened to this grand master plan? Self healing, clear mind space, clean bill of health? College degree? You threw your ass right back in the middle of your problems. Probably still fucking around, just as dirty as ever!"

"You wasn't saying that shit when I was sucking your dick the other night!"

"That's the only thing I let you do! I didn't ask for the shit."

"Why do you always have to discredit me? I've been busting my ass since I got over here. Cooking, cleaning, and doing a nice thing by helping you get your rocks off!"

"You think I really need you for that? Besides, you don't work so yeah I expect you to do SOMETHING around here!"

"The reason you don't touch me isn't because of how I get down, it's because I'm the best fucking sex partner you ever had! You don't want to be out here wifing up a hoe! Just like the rest of these niggas hooked on my ass."

He laughed hysterically, "Bitch please! You know what fam, I'm glad you know the truth. You right, you right! But correction, I'd never in my life would marry your ass!"

"Fuck you Marlon!"

"You try oh so hard, but I'm not going to let you." He spoke in a sorrowful tone. "Listen, I'm going to be late for work. Since you want to dip back into your old habits, I have to take Mari to my mothers."