Chapter Three: Dungeons

Chapter Three:

     I backed up frightfully, my rations left forgotten on the counter as I shielded my face from the blow I was sure to come. I cower, feeling the eyes of everyone as they turn their heads to me. 

     "That's not enough!" He was seething, his fists clenching in anger.

     I held back my tears, knowing crying was inappropriate while being punished. Weeping was one of Alpha Greg's least favorite attributes. "I'm sorry, sir."

     "No- just stop!" He stepped forward and gripped my shoulders, angling down to look me in the face. I kept my head lowered, however, but he bent down on a knee to try and catch my eyes. I could feel his anger radiating through him, but his voice remained soft, "What did your old pack do to you? Why are you so afraid of everyone?" 

     "They taught me to be obedient, sir," I said quietly.

     Fear suddenly struck through me like a spear as I remembered I wasn't allowed to call him 'sir', he had forbidden me. Remorse seeped through my voice, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call you sir. I will do better next time Lorenzo."

     He stood back to his full height causing me to flinch horribly, but he only grabbed my arm. He grabbed my wrist, tugging me forward and out of the kitchen.  This was it. The time had come for me to be punished. I was no doubt being led to the King's suite to be whipped.

    Silent sobs shook my shoulders. I held my breath to quell them. I could not cry in front of the King.

     He stopped in front of two large brown doors, "Stay right here." He ordered, disappearing through the doors and closing them behind him.

     I looked at the gold plate next to the door and started trembling violently. I didn't know what exactly the placard said, but I knew it was the King's office. Only the Alphas possessed gold plates. My legs were shaking, my knees weak as the temptation to crumple to the floor nearly overcame me. The smell of sweet vanilla and wood was intoxicating and fueled the draw of the mate bond that I had yearned for since I was a child.

    I heard a voice from the other side of the door, Lorenzo's voice, "You need to get the fuck up out of that desk and go help your mate. She's scared out of her mind." I heard Lorenzo scoff in disbelief,  "I found her on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor because she was terrified that she would get in trouble for tracking in mud."

     "When I offered food she asked if she was allowed. I watched her measure out a cup of dry lentils- fucking lentils- and tell me that this one meal was her ration for the week. Percyus... they only gave her a cup of dry lentils a week. They starved her and convinced her she does not deserve food."

     I heard the sharp crack of a hand slamming down onto a desk. Lorenzo kept speaking, "Are you fucking listening? Do you even know her name, Percy?"

     There was a pause, "No... I don't." The King's voice was low, almost too quiet for me to hear.

     "That's because she was never given a name. She is called 'girl', or 'servant'. She was their slave."

     There was a long beat of silence.

     Another slam of Lorenzo's fist, "Fucking listen to me! If you think for a second I will let this go on any longer, you're mistaken.  If you don't get out of this office and go help your mate I will take her myself. I'll show her what a real mate is supposed to be like." He growled.

     The crashing that immediately followed sent me reeling backward and I pressed myself into the wall across the width of the hallway. A vicious growl sliced through the air, nearly taking the breath right out of my lungs. The double doors rattled and creaked. I knew the King had Lorenzo pinned against them. "If you touch her, I will kill you." He threatened.