Chapter Twenty-Eight: Lycanthemine

     The wind was whipping across my face, the cool air the only semblance of comfort as my body jerked and spasmed in Percyus's arms. My body was hot, flaming with pain as if I had been set on fire, the wind a gentle comfort, but only fueled it. We had long since abandoned the restaurant, his strong arm carrying me deep into the woods so the humans would not hear my screams. The woods and the trees, nature in itself driving my body to shift faster. The mood goddess made the most comforting place the woods, in return making my body shift faster in the forest where wolves belonged.

     I choked on my screams as Percyus fell to his knees in the middle of the woods, out of breath from running so fast and so far on foot rather than in wolf form. He set me down as softly as he could, finally releasing his tight grip on me. He had to hold me tightly since I was squirming so much, nearly escaping his hold many times. He looked exhausted, but the worry in his tear ridden eyes showed nothing but concern for me. He couldn't help me in any way now, I was shifting and nothing could counteract the moon goddesses plan.

     I felt my leg break at the knee, snapping backwards, concaving in on itself. No screams would escape my mouth as I lay their writhing in pain, only whimpers leaving my mouth as fast as the tears fell down my face. Percyus scooped up my broken hand ever so carefully, pressing a feather soft kiss to my palm. "I'm so sorry. I wish I could take your pain away-" Tears slipped down his face, and he hung his head while he wiped them away as if he was ashamed of them.

     He was cut off by the sound of footsteps quickly approaching. Lorenzo skidded to a halt in the dirty, a couple feet away. His breathing was ragged as he seemed close to hyperventilating or sobbing. The other three followed closely behind, Lorenzo holding his arms out to prevent them from getting any closer. He looked worn out and he had tears running down his face. It was a new sight to see such a strong figure like him cry. He gazed down at my form lying on the ground, bent at odd angles and fell to his hands and knees to throw up. His friend he brought rushed forwards, crouching down next to him to console him as he retched the sip of cola he had and his dinner onto the ground.

     I suddenly felt awful for making him and Percyus so worried and anxious. It was my fault they were all so worried and upset. It's my fault Percyus was exhausted, he had to run all the way out here with my chubby little body weighing him down. It was my fault he was so mentally spent, having to deal with my emotional baggage. It sent the silent tears raining down again. I wanted to hurt myself again but my sad thoughts were cut off by the horrific sound of my bones shattering once more. Walla wailed in the back of my head, the agony too much for her to bear. She was dying, and if she died, I died.

     I gasped for a breath as my feet started breaking, shattering to form a new structure. But that new structure wasn't forming. I was just breaking. By now I would've started spurting out and my bones start mending, but if wasn't working. I was just self destructing, breaking and breaking until there would be nothing left to break. I would die from the pain. A couple months ago if I was facing death I would've accepted it, but now that I've finally started to shape my life into something worth living for, I don't want to leave. I don't want to die because I'm too weak. I want to die of old age.

     Lorenzo suddenly screamed out, hunching forward as if someone had kicked him in the stomach. His date had fallen backwards in fear, clutching her chest from the jump. She crawled back to him, her voice softly echoing in my ringing ears, "Lorenzo? What's wrong?" She was drowned out by another round of his tortured screams, the sound of his voice cracking as he sobbed.

     I wanted to turn my body or run to him but I couldn't. I could only move my head to see him slouched on his hands and knees, his hand blindly clutching his back as blood had started to soak his white dress shirt. When the pain coursing through him finally stopped, he fell onto his stomach in exhaustion, sobbing. I'd never seen a man sob so hard before. He was blubbering out words, almost unintelligible. But I heard them, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, forgive me. I didn't mean it. I thought it would help!"