Chapter Thirty-Five: Camilla

Unedited

U N K N O W N P O V

     From my hiding spot outside the window, I watched Alpha Greg put his papers back into his folders very lazily. He picked it up, tapped the edge of it on his desk to straighten them out, only to throw the folder back down and mess it up again. He didn't care, however, and proceeded to gather his personal effects and leave the office. I presumed it was for one of two reasons; to get food, or to take a 'break', which meant a two hour nap in the bathtub. Being his handmaid gave me details about his personal life that I rather wished I'd never known.

     He closed the office door, locking it behind him so no one could come snooping around. What he didn't know was that I'd unlocked the window earlier. I slowly and silently lifted the glass until I could squeeze through. Never thought I'd say this, but it was a good thing I'd been cut down to one meal a day, or I might not have made it in. I landed on the ground as quietly as I could, taking a peek out the window to make sure no one had been watching. I left the window open in case I had to quickly run. I crouched behind his desk, my heart hammering in my chest. If I was caught, Goddess knows what they would do to me. I would be in so much trouble.

     I reached my hand up over his desk and snatched the folder he was looking at off his desk. The manila folder was thick in my hands, containing so many secrets that it sent adrenaline coursing through my system. I peeled open the front cover to make sure this is what I needed, and I'll admit, my curiosity got the best of me. Two photographs slid out into my lap, and I hurried to catch them. I picked up the first one and gasped.

     The King.

     What would this folder Alpha had been pouring over and angry with have to do with the king? I fumbled to look at the next picture, my hands shaking with the fear of getting caught and the sheer balls it took to commit treachery like I just did. When I looked at the picture though, it was a girl I did not recognize.

     In the photo, she was laying on the floor, her limbs spread out haphazardly. Her body language screamed exhaustion, but by the way she was tensed up, you could tell she was terrified. The look on her face matched that, but you could hardly tell under all the bruises and scratches that covered her skin. Tears were leaking from her eyes, streaking down the sides of her face like she had been crying for a long time. There was blood dripping down her lips, staining her white dress. It was a child's dress up gown, loose fitting on her. She was so skinny that I could see every bone in her body. She looked near death.

     I felt a droplet hit my hand, and I realized I was crying. I didn't know who this woman was, but I hoped she was okay. I wished she was healthier than that, and whoever had been beating on her and taking pictures of it was rotting in hell. I angrily wiped my tears away, shoving the pictures back into the folder. If Alpha was planning something against those two people, I wasn't going to stand by and do nothing. I would deliver this to the king, and aide him however I could. As Alpha's handmaid, I had a lot of knowledge from hearing the higher-ups talking. I'm sure a lot of that could be helpful in his own demise. I wanted to see him and this pack crumble, just like he destroyed my own.

     I put the folder into my backpack, zipping it up tight. I would have a long journey ahead of me. I stood up and gripped the window sill, ready to hoist myself out, when suddenly the door burst open. My eyes went as wide as saucers and I spun around, expecting to see the alpha ready to punish me. Instead, I saw his son, Kellen. Horror seized my heart in its grip, squeezing painfully. I didn't just get caught by anyone, I got caught by the packs rumored rapist. He used his power to take advantage of any girl he chose, or so I'm heard.