A Little Too Late

"Hi momma!" a familiar voice of a little girl killed the silence in the room. It's my baby girl, Sofia.

I turned around to face her and assumed she was asking for me. My warm smile quickly faded into a frown as I saw my little girl run to a beautiful Latina I once considered as the love of my life. And probably still is.

"Hey little girl. Come here with Uncle Alex and he'll take you to a play room in the 8th floor." I overhear Callie say as she handed Sofia to Alex. They have been friends longer than we have so I guess he would choose Callie over me.

Callie's supposed to pick up some of hers and Sofia's things from the apartment. Ever since Callie kicked me out of our house, I rarely stay in the apartment. I often work overtime or sleep in on-call rooms. I basically live in the hospital.

I see my kid leave with Alex Karev. Callie turns and walks to me.

"What do you want from me, Callie?" I barked. I saw her quick change of expression.

"Whoa, whoa there." Callie says calmly and sits beside me. Her soft brown eyes look at the
floor exhausted. Not thinking of my actions,

"What wrong?" I softly say as I rub her back. God, I missed touching her, holding her. I'm sure I felt a flinch. She got shocked with what I just did.

"Nothing. Just a hard day. Lost a patient." She explains and rubs her temples. "How 'bout you?" She asks in honest concern.

"I honestly don't know what to do with my life anymore. I'm a complete mess." I explain. She puts her hand on and rubs my knees.

"You'll get over it. Don't worry." She replies. I try to place my hand over hers but she quickly pulls away. I'm about to tell her the same but my pager goes off. I stand up and turn but I look back at her.

"Do you miss me.. at all?" I ask.

"Of course." She replies.

"Not just enough." I say as I turn my back on her and gently wipe the tears starting to form in my eyes. No, Arizona. You can't be weak. Not right now. Don't let anyone see.

I ran off to the E.R. as my pager went 911.