Dishonored: Son of Death

Prologue

This world is dangerous. It's as simple as that. How dangerous, well, that's for you to choose. If you're like me, well bad news for you. Most of my life, I've lived in Dunwall; a rat infested city, long after its prime. I never met my father while I was growing up there. Now I know why. But I guess I will start at the beginning of this little story.

My name is Nikolas Crane. I was born in Dunwall, as I said earlier. My mother raised me by herself. She taught me how to defend myself in this rundown city. Along with rats, it was crawling with thugs, plague victims, corrupted guards and assassins. Not the ideal place to raise a kid. So, she taught me how to use a sword and pistol, and how to sneak around to stay alive. It ended up becoming a 'game' of ours. To sneak into shops to get the food and supplies we needed.

It was hard, but we managed. At night, she would sing to me to help me fall asleep, and she would tell me stories. My favorite was the story of Corvo Attano, the assassin, and how he was wrongly accused for killing the Empress. And against the odds, cleared his name, killed the one response for the murder, and crowned the Empress's daughter as ruler of the empire.

But one night, all that changed. One night, my mom was killed. Shot by one of the guards on duty for being out after curfew. I was 13 at that time. It was sad, but it taught me to be dependent and look after myself. When I was 15, exactly two years after my mother's death, the Outsider came to me. This is where the real story starts.