Chapter 1: The Void

It was two years after my mom's death. I was in my room, in an abandoned apartment building in the Distillery District. It was late, about 11 at night. During one of my raids that day, I found a strange amulet of some kind. It seemed to be made of bone. It had a strange yet familiar mark on it. The same one I've seen spray painted on the walls of shrines some people make. I would have ignored it, but something about it seemed interesting. It was like it was whispering to me. I brought it home, and put it under my pillow, thinking it will bring me good luck. Boy, was I wrong.

When I fell asleep, I felt like I was waking up in another world. I 'woke up' in my own room, but something wasn't right. It was dead silent. Usually there would be the sound of the Overseers dogs in the distance, or the carts filled with corpses going to the Flooded District to dispose of the bodies. But there was none of that. I opened the door and walked outside, and what I saw surprised me.

There was... nothing. That's  the most accurate description I can think of. A vast nothingness, with bits and pieces of Dunwall floating around, suspended in space and time. There was a platform of stone in front of me. I stepped forward, and in front of me a cloud of ash and smoke appeared. After is dispersed, a man was standing in its place.

At least, I assumed this being was a man. He seemed to be in his early 30s, with pale white skin, completely black eyes, and close cropped dark hair. He wore the average Overseer uniform, but it was in all black lined with grey.

"Hello, Nikolas" he said in a cold, monotone voice. "It's been a while since I've last seen you. "

I reached for my sword, but it was gone.

"I've never seen you before in my life. "

"You have not seen me before, but I have been watching you, ever since you were born. You are not like anyone else on this world, because of your father"

I glared at him. "What do you know of my father?"

"More than you" he said bluntly. "I've known him and his brothers since before Dunwall was created. "

"My father isn't that old. That's impossible. I don't believe you. " I said in disbelief.

"Your species is so arrogant. But I'm not here to argue with you. In fact, I'm here to help you. Come find me, and you will learn. " He said as he disappeared back into a cloud of smoke and ash.

Rock and stone began to form across the platform, making a road into the Void.

"Well, what's the worse that could happen. " I said as I walked along the road. As I was walking, there was images appearing on both sides of the road. It was like frozen scenes from Dunwall. There was plague victims being shot at by the stilt-walking guards with their bows and incendiary arrows. Families being eaten alive by swarms of rats. Lots of them I've seen myself. But the last one startled me. My mother, laying on the ground, with a bullet wound through her chest, with a pool of blood around her. There was a figure standing in the shadows, holding a gun. It was too dark to make out the face.

"Remember, back to the day you found your mother lying dead on the street. You sensed her passing, and ran, hoping you could help. Tell me, how did you know she was dead?".

"I... I don't... know..." I said, my voice cracking.

The figure looked at me, his dark eyes looking into my soul. "Did your mother not tell you of your parentage?"

I shook my head, still shaken from the image.

He was quiet for a moment. "Well, that doesn't matter now. But what does matter is what you are going to do about it. To help you out, I have a gift for you. " As he said that, Nikolas felt a burning sensation on his left hand. He looked down, and saw a strange marking on it; the same marking he saw on the amulet he found.

"You... you're the Outsider!" I said, full of rage. "You're the one who brought this plague onto us!"

He stared at me, with his expressionless face. "It was not me who brought this plague. The one who ruled before Lady Emily came to the throne brought the plague. I merely brought the swarms of rats that spread the plague. " He said, as if that was any better. "Consider yourself lucky that I gave you that mark. Only few people get that chance. Much less YOUR species."

He said that as if I wasn't human.

"This mark will give you powers beyond your own. You will be able to find more runes and bone charms, inscribed also with my mark. They will increase your power."

"And, what powers DO I have?" I asked.

"That is something for you to figure out" he said coldly. After that, he disappeared again. Then I woke up to the sound of my door being pounded on.