● c h a p t e r o n e ●

✿❀✿
"Ugh, him again? When will he ever understand, we don't like him..." Laran muttered under her breathe as she flicked her tail irritably. Ebony's head bowed down sullenly as his chocolate brown eyes looked up at the other Azal's, jealous of their lives, but then an ear piercing shout echoed around them.

"Alright, we'll have the understudies meet their mentors now!" The chief shouted across the clearing. Amory bulked his muscles and leapt up onto The Mossy Rock with his muscles rippling. His warm, honey gold eyes looking dearly at the little Azal's sitting next to him, waiting eagerly with their fur sleek and clean.

One by one, Azal's began to gather around the boulder, listening intently, ecstatic for the young understudies. "I remember clearly when I was up there, waiting for my mentor..." a senior Azal muttered contently with a warm smile. "I was so happy, I couldn't even keep still" another muttered.

"The mentors and understudies will only meet when the light of the ceremony is about to dim".
Amory licked one of the understudies forehead and began "Marigold was blessed with great strength and wisdom, I know she'll hunt and fight well. Her mentor will be..." Everybody held their breathes.

"...Arminta" Marigold's clear sea-green eyes widened with joy as her jaw dropped with shock. "Marigold's mentor is the secondary chief?!" the other understudies asked in disbelief and jealousy. After the other two envious understudies settled down, Amory continued, "Rosa was blessed with a fine grasp on herbs and is able to save lives.

Her mentor will be... Asa" Azal's nodded as if they expected Asa would be her mentor. The last understudy who waited the longest had anxiety brewing and bubbling in her belly as she started to feel unsure. "And now, for our last Azal, Bee was blessed with hunting, her mentor will be... Laran".

Laran's ice cold eyes glared at Ebony and chuckled menacingly "aw, too bad, guess you'll never get an understudy". The pretty she-Azal looked away with a mocking grin. Ebony sighed as the three chosen mentors jumped up onto the boulder, finally meeting their understudies. At least Laran won't have as much free time as before so she won't be able to interact with me, that's a relief...
✿❀✿