Mary's Fiance

It was a beautiful summers day in Norfolk. There was but a cloud in the sky and sunlight filtered softly through the leaves, casting a golden glow over the entire scene. Birds cheeped cheerily in some branches nearby, a squirrel or two scurried up the trees, transporting their precious nuts and the glorious scent of flowers in full bloom drifted across on the pleasant, gentle breeze. Mary Boleyn and her dearest friend Harold were taking a walk in the afternoon sunshine. They had left the castle in the early hours, armed with a picnic and some smiles, determined to make the most of a rare warm morning. In these parts- or indeed any part of Britain- a bright and sunny day was a blessing. Their picnic was eaten by noon, but they didn't want to return to their homes just yet- not when there was still so much of the day to enjoy.

As they walked down a shaded forest path, relaxing in the free feel of nature, they heard the trickling of the nearby stream- they gave each other a knowing smile before breaking into a run towards the magical sound. Harold ran fastest in his trousers and shirt, whilst Mary ran slower as she held up her golden dress away from her feet. This was the only problem with the long, sweeping dresses which were the fashion at that moment- they allowed for barely any movement at all and this proved a great discomfort for a girl as active as Mary.

Harold reached the stream first, panting as he listened to the trinkle of the flowing, clear water. Mary arrived and removed her headdress to allow her wavy blonde locks to fall daintily around her face, framing her undoubted beauty. She loved nature and the freedom of it. No one could tame a stream and tell it where to go, or control the migration patterns of the birds. She longed for a simple life away from the strains of society and strictness of her home in Hever.

"Look at that tree Mary!" Pointed Harold after catching his breath. "It leans so far over the water it almost strokes it."

Mary followed his finger and caught sight of the tree in question- a beautiful, aged oak tree, whose branches dangled over the water, like it wanted to be part of it; she stood up and slipped off her shoes, stepping onto the dry mud at the river bank. Blissfully, she gave a sigh of happiness and broke into a run towards the leaning tree.

"What are you doing?" laughed Harold, smiling at Mary.

"Getting a closer look." she giggled mischievously.

Carefully, she stepped up onto the branch of the tree that lent far over the water. She held on to another branch for balance and gingerly walked out further on to the branch. She lowered herself down to sit on the soft cushion of moss that hugged the branch lovingly.

The water looked crystal clear and she could see shoals of silvery fish in her shadow. Unable to resist any longer, she tentatively lowered her feet into the cold water. She gasped as the coolness of the stream sent a shock up her legs, but was thrilled when the fish swam among her toes. Mary watched in delight at this simplistic treasure of nature, that she was fortunate enough to experience.

"Do come over Harold. The water is lovely and there is the most splendid fishes." She called, with a glance in his direction.

Grinning, Harold got up and walked towards the tree; he hauled himself confidently up onto the branch and walked out until he was next to Mary. As he sat down though, there was a cracking sound and the branch snapped, dropping the two friends into the river. Both of them laughed as they were submerged up to their waists in the cool, bubbling water.

"I knew that branch wasn't strong enough." smiled Harold as they sat there in the freezing water, giggling hysterically for a few moments. Mary didn't seem too bothered about the branch breaking- she had just enjoyed the exhilarating moment of sheer excitement.

They waded through the water to the slippery bank, drenched and watched the branch float away down the gently flowing stream, laughing at the new heaviness of Mary's dress that had been added by the water. She didn't mind though and just slipped on her shoes with a childish giggle.

"We certainly can't return in this state. We must walk until our clothes are dry." She proclaimed dramatically, taking Harold's arm.

"Of course my dear Maiden." Harold played along with her drama "Your father would have a fit if he saw you in this state."

They walked together for a further hour, smiling and talking all the way about a variety of subjects: from mundane things such as the weather to deep, philosophical discussions about nature and the society. They only stopped to point out a sweet-smelling flower or a sweet and unusual bird to the other.

When they were about to turn back to the castle, Harold paused. Mary, noticing his hesitation, halted also and watched him curiously as he produced a small velvet box. Smiling bashfully but with innocent shyness, he handed it to Mary, who gasped upon opening it and seeing the contents.

"Oh it's beautiful!" exclaimed Mary "What a perfectly delightful trinket.", she grinned as she doted and fawned over a perfectly cut diamond ring. The man who had bestowed her with such a gem stood proudly gazing at his delighted friend.

"Do you know why I have given you this?" He asked, watching Mary carefully.

"No, Harold, please inform of me the reason." Replied Mary, still smiling, curious to know what reason Harold had for presenting her with such an obviously expensive gift.

Harold beamed, his cheeks flushed a slightly deeper pink. "T'was my grandmother's wedding ring. Now I hope it can bring us as much happiness as it brought her."

Mary was amazed. Whatever it was she had been expecting, it hadn't been this and she was aghast with happiness and pleasure "Harold, you're not asking..."

-Harold knelt down onto one knee and took Mary's hands in his own, taking a deep breath to gather up his courage.

"....Yes I am. Mary Boleyn. My dear, dear Mary, Will you do me the great honor of becoming my wife?"

"Have you asked my father? Did he know of our courtship?" Mary was worried. Of course she wanted to marry Harold, but it had to be done in the proper manner. Her family wouldn't take a scandal in good esteem.

Harold gave her a reassuring smile. "Yes, he is quite contented with the idea of our matrimony."

Mary returned the smile and replied, barely containing her enthusiasm, "In that case, I would most certainly love to indulge in the obvious honor of becoming your wife."

And with those words, Harold rose from the ground and delivered to Mary's soft lips a delicate but passionate kiss. Mary made no objection and closed her eyes to enjoy the moment even more. She had dreamt about this moment for years and though she had never expected it to be her best friend, it felt completely and utterly perfect. It was the best day of her life, she had had a wonderful walk and a picnic with her best friend and now fiance Harold, and had just planned to spend the rest of her life with the man she loved more than anyone else. What could be more splendid?