Royal Invitation

Summer went by as quickly as time itself, Mary often walked with Harold in the sunshine and sometimes they spent whole days together, just enjoying each other's company. Mary's sister, Anne preferred to walk alone or ride her horse. On a rare occasion, she might decide to go out with George with the day, but they would almost always quarrel and come back in a great rave about the other. That was why Mary sometimes doubted her belonging to the Boleyn family for she was gentle but adventurous whilst her siblings were only adventurous with their sharp tongues.

When the nights began to lengthen, the Boleyn's were heartbroken. The summer breeze would soon turn to icy wind and the blooming trees to empty branches. There would be no more walking in the sun and no more reading in the forest. Instead there would be dark evenings and cold nights.

This meant that all activities would have to be more ladylike and would include sewing and embroidery which both of the sisters despised. George would be called back to Court and the castle would be cold and lonely and no more adventures could happen until spring, when the first blooms marked the start of another opportunity for fun.

One evening, when the sisters were busy knitting, their father called them into the dining room. They were both shocked by their father's sudden and unique excitement and followed- eager to discover what had brought about such a smile.

When they reached the dining room, they looked around and saw their father, brother George, uncle Howard and mother. Their father sat at the head of the table and greeted them with his usual booming voice.

"Sit down girls, I have some very important news for you" he began.

Anne and Mary exchanged glances and wondered what could possibly be exciting about staying inside and cold weather.

"You have been invited to join George in the Royal Court. You will be ladies to the Queen." announced their proud father.

Anne burst out laughing instantaneously, "Ladies. Us?"

"Yes Anne. You will be ladies in waiting to the King's wife, Katherine of Aragon" explained their father "Isn't that amazing? All the Boleyns, members of court. George has also been invited to return."

"I'm up for it. What about you Mary? Anything's better than embroidery in a cold room with pouring rain" joked Anne with her usual sarcastic confidence.

Mary didn't reply but looked excited by the offer. Their father looked at Anne sternly and advised "Anne, if you are to go to court you must learn to hold your tongue. Many of the noblemen and advisers won't stand for an opinionated woman and will advise the king to replace you."

Anne groaned "So you're sending us off to court hoping we'll come back married."

Anne's father stood up abruptly and slammed his foot down on the wooden floor of the dining room. With a red and stern face he exclaimed "That is exactly what needs to stop Anne. That ridiculous French humor will get you no-where. I am not sending you to court to get married although if you do find a suitor I would be obviously gracious. His majesty has requested you go as a result of your musical and sewing abilities and is eager to meet you." Her father made a face sterner than before as he said this yet Anne ignored it and gave a sly smile.

"Well I suppose we better go then and serve his Majesty. For we have been so carefully chosen" She yelled as she stood up and gave a comical bow before twirling away through the door. She slammed the door behind her and could be heard ranting in the next room about 'the king's royal arse' and 'we'll become absolute snobs like the other posh tards that work there.'

Mary stood up slowly and returned her chair back under the table. She also straightened Anne's chair before suggesting "I will go and talk to Anne for you father. She should calm down with a little time" as she turned to follow Anne, bowing goodbye to her father on the way.

"Actually would you wait a second Mary?" he called.

Mary stopped and turned around to face her father.

"You do realize that going to Court will require you to leave you life here and go to London." he explained

Mary gasped in realization "But that would mean-"

"-Yes" replied her father "It would mean breaking your engagement with Harold."

Instantly, Mary broke down into tears and stood crying by the doorway. Her father felt deeply sorry for her as he too liked the sprightliness of Harold. He had given his blessing to the marriage. Mary was his favourite daughter, she was not the firstborn but was more respectful and beautiful then Anne. She was the best daughter a man could wish for and it hurt him to see her cry and faced with a challenge of the heart.

"I will go to Hampton Court." sniffed Mary "If it is the wish of his majesty then I shall go."

"Bless you my child" smiled her father, helping her up and giving her a loving embrace. "If only Anne could be so obedient".

Mary again began to cry and sniffed "Please can you explain to Harold why I can't marry him. It would break my heart to see him again."

Her father nodded in agreement as he watched his weeping daughter run from the room.