Last Evening Home

Mary had calmed down by the time evening came and knew she had made the right decision even if it broke her heart. She knew that it was better to break your own heart than to anger the King. She would simply have to suppress her emotions and serve the Royal family as though it was the greatest honor that could be received.

When Mary was changing for bed later that night, she turned to face her door and caught sight of her sister, Anne. She was leaning against the doorway in her nightdress with her dark hair brushed and flowing down her back. Anne twirled a few strands of her hair around her fingers as she spoke "I heard you crying earlier." she smiled.

"You did?" replied Mary, embarrassed at letting her sister see her upset.

"I did." smiled Anne inviting herself into Mary's chamber "Why?"

Mary didn't reply so Anne came up to her and looked her right in the eye "Why?" she asked again.

Mary was annoyed now "It is none of your business Anne and you shouldn't be asking me so intrusively." What right did her sister have to question her after she had had such a significant and painful day?

"Did father tell you you have to break your engagement?" laughed Anne.

Mary spun around to face Anne who was now behind her "How do you know that?" she asked sternly.

Anne giggled "So I was right. You do have to leave Harold and go to court. You truly are the world's worst actress."

"Anne. Please I don't want to talk about it." Mary had tears welling in her eyes.

"Did you tell father not to even think about breaking your engagement? Oh wait. You would never do that to father, would you? No you are too obedient and boring and wouldn't dream of disobeying our dear dear father, would you? No you have no backbone and agreed happily." Anne teased sourly with a wry smile.

Mary could take it no longer and pushed Anne to the floor, crying as she hit her with all her strength. Anne yelled out in pain and fought back, pulling Mary's hair and shouting more insults at her. The siblings were entangled in their rage and lashed out at each other with great force. Anne scraped her pointed nails down Mary's skin and Mary slapped her as the blood began to run from her new wounds.

Their father burst into the room, accompanied by George and Uncle Howard, "What is all this noise?" he yelled as he pulled Mary from the fight and sat her on the bed. George attempted to restrain Anne, but needed assistance from Uncle Howard to suppress Anne's desperate attempts to break free of his arms.

"What is happening?" ordered Uncle Howard as he held Anne's hands down by her side.

Mary sat nursing her bleeding face and neck accompanied by silent tears whilst Anne stood proudly laughing at their fight. "Finally you cracked Mary." she taunted.

"ANNE!" yelled their father at her before asking Mary, "What happened Mary?"

Anne yelled "Fine, just ask your favourite daughter then" before being slapped by Uncle Howard.

Mary and her father ignored Anne and Mary replied "She was taunting me about Harold."

Their father was silent for a second before sighing "My daughters are sometimes so young in mind."

Uncle Howard released his hands from Anne's wrist before adding "You are expected at Court in the morning. Don't act like this when you are there or you will not be treated so leniently."

Uncle Howard and their father turned to walk out of the room and the beckoned George to follow them. George didn't follow immediately, instead he kissed Mary's bleeding cheek tenderly and whispered "Get some sleep gentle sister, for tomorrow we have a long ride." Then George took Anne's waist and walked her out of the room to her chamber, he bode Mary a final "Goodnight" as he left the room.

Anne wasn't quite as polite as George and hissed at her sister before walking with George out of the room to her chamber to gather her things. As she arrived there she found that her maid had almost finished her packing for her.

She walked to her cupboard and gazed at the few dresses that hadn't been packed yet. She pulled out a dark blue dress with gold embroidery and threw it onto the bed next to her pearl necklace with a 'B'.

"I will wear this tomorrow." she told the maid before adding "I will show a little of my French side at this court.". Her maid agreed with her choice and began to pack the remaining outfits, she was so engrossed in the never ending fabric of Anne's expensive wardrobe, she didn't notice that the occupant of the room had left.

Anne trod carefully down the stone floor of her wing at Hever, her feet chilled by the cold of the stone and her nightdress flowing in the wind. She walked towards the barely used Ballroom at the rear of the house and went inside. She had no candle so just relied on the light of the moon that strew through the long windows as her guide. Anne walked towards a window on the left and threw it open, letting the cold air engulf her and make her hair flow in the gentle breeze- she took a deep breath and swung her legs out into the cool air before pulling herself through the window to stand on the wet grass. Anne sighed before running towards the forest, she wanted to get one last look at the clearing that she loved so much. She closed her eyes as she ran through the forest; she knew the path by heart.

When she reached the clearing, the moon was illuminating it and it was framed by the tops of the trees touching the stars. Anne slowed her run and laid down in the center of the great grass panting- she didn't care if her nightdress got wet in the newly setting dew, this moment was for her only worry to be if the moon approved of her company. When Anne had lain there for a few minutes she gazed at the stars and whispered "Why won't you take me?". No response was given so she hauled herself onto her knees and began to pray that she wouldn't have to go to Court in the morning that approached. Again the sky gave her no answer. Anne picked up a stone from where she knelt and tossed it at the sky with a scream of rage "Answer me God. Don't make me go." She fell back into the grass panting and stayed there for a few seconds as she regained her breath before beginning to run back to the warm of Hever castle.

She climbed back through the ballroom window and closed it behind her. She re-walked the stone corridor and passed the door of the chapel which was now alight with candles. Anne gazed in and saw Mary on her knees before the alter and wooden cross. Anne considered walking on but instead walked into the chapel and just sat on a bench near the back. She heard her sister praying aloud "Oh Lord, please aid me in my new path beginning at dawn. Please help my sister Anne to find happiness in our new life and repair our sisterly relationship. Amen" Then Mary stood up and opened her eyes as she turned to face the back of the room. Anne stepped out to block her path but Mary slid down the side of her and just noted "You are filthy Anne." before leaving the room, Rosary dangling from her hand.

"I'm Sorry Mary" Anne yelled timidly as her sister left the chapel. She couldn't tell if Mary had heard or accepted her apology but hoped she had and that she would be forgiven before their long and forbidding journey in the morning.